paraview copy-paste (clone/dublicate) filter

Mesh generators, CAD programs, and other tools
Martina
Antispam: Yes

paraview copy-paste (clone/dublicate) filter

Post by Martina »

Hi all,

I'd like to copy-paste (or clone/dublicate) a filter in paraview, i.e. applying extactly the same filter on two different sources without having to redefine the filter. For the moment I'm doing that via save-state/load-state and adjusting each time the input file (or via "change input" to a filter), but it would be more conveniet to be able to have the results of the filter applied to the different sources in one and the same paraview-state-file.
According to the various results that googel gives me, "copy" and "paste" from the menu "edit" or with the mouse-left-click should work. However, when I do "paste" nothing happens.
Has anybody experience with that? Is there any other way to do it? Or ist there any "trick" how to do use the "paste function?

Thanks a lot,
Martina
mzenker

Re: paraview copy-paste (clone/dublicate) filter

Post by mzenker »

Hi,

unfortunately I don't know the answer.
I assume that you have consulted the ParaView manual ;) , and suggest that you post that question to the ParaView mailing list (if you don't find the answer in their archive - see here for more info on the mailing list and a search field).

Matthias
Martina
Antispam: Yes

Re: paraview copy-paste (clone/dublicate) filter

Post by Martina »

Hi,

I have now sent an email to the paraview emailing list, here a short summary in case someone else is interested in that:
Apparently there is no simply copy-paste-filter function, at least I didn't got any feedback about that.

There is several possible workarounds which all have advantages and disadvantages and might work for one situation, but not another:

- "Use Group Dataset" or "AppendAttributes" to join the different datasets into one and treat them at once.
- Create "artificial" timesequences by renaming the files or using *.pvd meta-files and then using for example animations to apply the filter to all "pseudo time-steps".
- Create Custom-Filters which then can be applied to other datasets.

UPDATE:
There is a copy-paste function, but this function does NOT copy-paste a filter, but only the filter properties. That means that one has first to greate a new filter (for example a new Clip-Filter) and then one can paste the properties of the initial filter (another Clip-Filter in the example) into the new one.
However for me that leads to a crash with seg.faults which I have not yet resolved.

REUPDATE:
Here is an exampel on how to use the copy-paste on filters, currently there is a bug and it's not working with all filters (seg.faults on certain filters), to be fixed hopefully in version 4.1.
http://www.paraview.org/pipermail/parav ... chment.ogv

Martina