Units of the files exported from Salome Preprocessor

Mesh generators, CAD programs, and other tools
annier
Antispam: Yes

Units of the files exported from Salome Preprocessor

Post by annier »

Hi,
A. For Salome Versions V2, V3,V4
This is the thing which i find worth taking care of considering the topic of dimensions/units while exporting Salome Geometry and Mesh into Elmer .
  • -> Earlier versions of Salome (those earlier than V5) use the "mm" unit but do not retain unit in exported files (.unv files). i guess it only exports numbers.
  • -> I guess Elmer uses SI units.
Let me give the illustrations.
Method 1
  • When we need to simulate a cube of 1 m *1 m* 1m.
  • We can draw a cube 1*1*1 in Salome (it is in mm there) and export it into Elmer.
  • Elmer reads it as (1 m * 1 m* 1m).
  • We are using the property of Salome that it does not retain the unit in the exported geometry and mesh.
Method 2
  • When we need to simulate a cube of 1 mm*1 mm* 1 mm
  • We can draw a cube 1*1*1 in Salome (it is in mm there) and export it into Elmer.
  • Elmer will read it as (1 m * 1 m* 1m) if coordinate scaling is not done.
  • In the simulation section of Solver Input File (SIF) of Elmer, we add

Code: Select all

Coordinate Scaling = 0.001
    and the cube is read as 0.001 m* 0.001 m *0.001 m by Elmer Solver.
B. For Salome Versions V5.1.3 and Later Versions
This is the thing which i find worth taking care of considering the topic of dimensions/units while exporting Salome Geometry and Mesh into Elmer .
  • -> Later versions of Salome (those later than V5) use the "m" SI unit but do not retain unit in exported files (.unv files). i guess it only exports numbers.
  • -> I guess Elmer uses SI units.
Let me give the illustrations.
Method 1
  • When we need to simulate a cube of 1 m *1 m* 1m.
  • We can draw a cube 1*1*1 in Salome (it is in m there) and export it into Elmer.
  • Elmer reads it as (1 m * 1 m* 1m).
  • We are using the property of Salome that it does not retain the unit in the exported geometry and mesh.
Method 2-a
  • We can draw a cube 1*1*1 in Salome (it is in m there) and export it into Elmer.
  • Elmer will read it as (1 m * 1 m* 1m) if coordinate scaling is not done.
  • In the simulation section of Solver Input File (SIF) of Elmer, we add

Code: Select all

Coordinate Scaling = 0.001
    and the cube is read as 0.001 m* 0.001 m *0.001 m by Elmer Solver.
Method 2-b
  • We can draw a cube 0.001*0.001*0.001 in Salome (it is in m there) and export it into Elmer.
  • Elmer will read it as (0.001 m *0.001 m* 0.001m).
Note:
  • 1. If we are constructing the geometry within Salome, it can be quite practical when we assume that Salome just uses the length values and not the units . the consideration of units will be helpful to us for the context when we construct/draw geometry outside Salome i.e. in another CAD software and import it by Salome.
  • 2. I am not sure about what units do Salome versions V5.1.1 and V5.1.2 use (I herein assume that they also use SI units).
Anil Kunwar
Faculty of Mechanical Engineering, Silesian University of Technology, Gliwice