SketchUp - Salome Meshing Work-Flow

Mesh generators, CAD programs, and other tools
mzenker

Re: SketchUp - Salome Meshing Work-Flow

Post by mzenker »

Hi,

I don't use Rainer's script as I don't create my geometries in SketchUp. But normally you can easily create a conforming mesh at the interface between two bodies in Salomé by making a partition. You can find instructions in the Elmer wiki here and a forum entry here.

HTH,

Matthias
rainer.ochs
Antispam: Yes

Re: SketchUp - Salome Meshing Work-Flow

Post by rainer.ochs »

juanbevan wrote:I used the Push-pull tool in SketchUp8 (windows 32 version) to create one surface on top of another but it seems that as I define groups the interfacing face can only be defined for one of the two groups and not for both.
It is quite some time ago that I wrote this script and I haven't used it for some time. However, when I look to your cube example, I see, that the different groups do not represent solid structures - the reason may be that they share faces instead of having each a face in the same place.
Please do the following:
- create one volume, lets say a cube
- group this and give it the proper name
- create the next volume so it shares faces, but is a an own solid structure.
- group this also and name it
- you may create several volumes this way, sharing faces or not.

If you export this to Salome, you may check the transfer directory. There should be one iges file for each volume - you may import them separately into Salome to check if they are properly exported. If one is missing - check this in SketchUp what is wrong.

When I remember it properly then faces that only ar partly shared caus problems. So a small cube on top of a large one sitting in the middle of the face may create problems when meshing - you have to try. But the iges export should always be fine.

From there on it should work.

Rainer