SketchUp

Mesh generators, CAD programs, and other tools
rainer.ochs
Antispam: Yes

Re: SketchUp

Post by rainer.ochs »

Partly overlapping should work in Salome, but then the count of bodies gets confused. It is possible however in SketchUp to intersect the bodies to seperate them before the export. By assigning the same material the bodies are joined then in the simulation, but seperate in the model.
What application do you have that requires overlapping bodies?

Rainer
mzenker

Post by mzenker »

I don't mean overlapping bodies, but overlapping surfaces (in 3D). Imagine a small cube on top of a bigger one...

Matthias
rainer.ochs

Post by rainer.ochs »

This then means that two bodies share a surface or part of it. That is no problem. I segment my magnetic cores in separate parts to have a boundaries in between for visualization and measurement. This works fine. The only requirement is that the model is precise so there is no gap nor overlap of the bodies. But as long as the shapes are not too crazy that should present no problem.
mzenker

Post by mzenker »

Hi Rainer,

does your workflow run under Linux or Windoze?
Unfortunately I cannot use Linux, and a while ago Salome was rumored not to be particularly stable under Windoze. If this is no longer true, I will be happy to test your workflow one of these days.

Matthias
rainer.ochs

Post by rainer.ochs »

Hi Matthias
In fact this is a Windows-only solution as SketchUp is a windows program (though there are reports of running it with wine). I am working with Windows XP.
I also got a number of nasty Blue-screens when selecting the MESH-GUI in Salome - but fortunately this does not happen with the python script. In fact this was one of the driving forces for the script solution.
I will pack my plugin with a short description as soon as I find time and send it to you. Please send me a PM with your mail address.

Rainer
bomastudio

Post by bomastudio »

Hi Rainer,

very good news!!!! If you like I can be a beta tester for your plugin! :D
rainer.ochs

Post by rainer.ochs »

The Plugin has been posted at: