DEM to mesh

Mesh generators, CAD programs, and other tools
dustming
Antispam: Yes

DEM to mesh

Post by dustming »

Hi all
I need to generate a mesh, the node on the mesh would have the elevation from DEM data? how you suggest to do this job ?
thanks in advance`!
Han Ming
mzenker

Re: DEM to mesh

Post by mzenker »

Hi,

what is DEM?

Did you try free meshers such as gmsh, Salome or netgen?

Matthias
dustming

Post by dustming »

DEM is the Digital elevation model, it has the elevation data in the specfic location(x, y ). what I want to do is generate a finite element mesh based on it, the mesh has the elevation properties
mzenker

Post by mzenker »

Hi,

you need to convert your DEM data to a format which can be read by a meshing software, like gmsh, Salome, netgen, or GiD. STEP format is understood by all those AFAIK. STL is also reported to work, but I have never used it personally.
When you have the mesh, export it in a format that ElmerGtrid can read (see ElmerGrid manual), import it into Elmer, and you are done.

HTH,

Matthias
raback
Site Admin

Post by raback »

Hi

You can also do the meshing totally separately from the DEF. Then you can read in the elevation with GridDataMapper, for example, and morpf the mesh with StructuredMeshMapper (extruded mesh in depth direction) or MeshUpdate (arbitraty meshes). Haven't tested the workflow but it should be pretty much ready. Of course untested strategies may require some minor tweaks.

-Peter
dustming

Post by dustming »

Thank you for your attention ~! best wishes ~! if it worked ~ I will sent the work flow here~!