GMSH-Physical Lines & Elmer

Mesh generators, CAD programs, and other tools
Supituki
Antispam: Yes

GMSH-Physical Lines & Elmer

Post by Supituki »

Hi Everyone,

I am working on a Gmsh Model and Mesh, which I import to "ElmerSolver" using "ElmerGrid 14 2". Besides, I define the analysis parameters myself and afterwards I create the ".sif" file with Matlab.

Everything works correctly. The mesh is correctly converted to Elmer format and it is detected, then the analysis is executed and the results obtained are correct.

But I encountered a problem with the physical lines. While Elmer does recognise the Physical Points and Surfaces, it seems that it doesn't detect those "Line" sentences in the "mehs.boundary" file. I can apply loads on Surfaces and Points, but as Elmer does not detect those lines I cannot use them. I really need to apply loads on them.

I read some posts in this forum, but none offered a solution to the problem of the "Physical Lines". Did some find a solution?

Regards,

Supituki
raback
Site Admin

Re: GMSH-Physical Lines & Elmer

Post by raback »

Hi

Personally I never define any physical groups but choose "Save all (ignore physical quantities)". Then the lines have been saved without problems.

-Peter
Supituki

Post by Supituki »

Hi Peter,

First of all, thank you very much for your repply.

I've done it as you said, and it works perfectly. But, now i have lost total control at the mesh.boundary file since the numbers of the point, line and surfaces entities are random. Besides, the lines are defined after the nodes and not after the geometric entities, therefore it is extremely costly to figure out which line is the one i am interested on. This would be the main advantage of defining those physical entities.

Am i doing something wrong? How would you face this problem?

Cheers

Supituki.

Pd: Although "Line(16) = {18, 19};" --> "Physical Line(5) = {16};" sentences aren't detected at the mesh.boundary file, "Circle (26) = {29, 30, 31};"-->"Physical Line(4) = {26};" sentecences seem to be correctly defined.
Supituki

Post by Supituki »

raback wrote:Hi

Personally I never define any physical groups but choose "Save all (ignore physical quantities)". Then the lines have been saved without problems.

-Peter
Hi peter,

I was wondering how you identify your goal-lines among all the lines after exporting your mesh to elmer.

Thanks in advance

Supituki
raback
Site Admin

Post by raback »

Hi

Usually I use ElmerGUI to make the skeleton of the command file. Sometimes for really simple meshes I may use "ElmerGrid 14 3" which provides me with an ElmerPost format where also the numbering may be checked.

-Peter