Tetgen and .poly in Elmer

Mesh generators, CAD programs, and other tools
SqFKYo

Tetgen and .poly in Elmer

Post by SqFKYo »

Hello,
I'm somewhat new to Elmer, and I'm currently trying to construct a 3d model using self made .poly and .node files, but I'm not sure if I'm doing it right. I'm trying to construct multiple-surface model, and when I first started with cubes I thought I'd use 8 nodes and 6 faces per cube, but it seems that duplicating nodes/faces is a no-no for Elmer (even though it seems to work for TetView), so now I tried to use 8 nodes and 6 faces for the first cube, and 4 nodes plus 5 faces for next cubes, and I'm wondering if this would count in Elmer as creating full cubes, or would Elmer translate my model as having one "full" cube, and other cubes being "empty", since they don't have a bottom.

To better illustrate my problem I've linked to imageshack the image as shown in Elmer, and also the source code for .poly files (.node file is pasted below since the attatchment thingie doesn't allow the extension). I'm sorry that my explanation is probably confusing, but I'm not sure how to clarify it. The example has two surfaces (one in the middle, and one at the ends), and is build by starting the first cube from origo and building from there up using total of three unit cubes.

To sum it up: Would this kind of 3d model allow me to e.g. set the density for volume defined by surface separately or do I need to do this in some other manner?

http://img21.imageshack.us/i/esimerkkix.jpg/

Testikonkka.node example file:
#
# Base for this file has been taken from http://tetgen.berlios.de/
#
# TetGen input file
#
# Testikonkka.node
#

# 16 nodes, 3 dimensional, no attribute, no marker
16 3 0 0

# Number of node, x-, y-, and z-coordinate