Streamlines in Elmerpost

Post processing utility for Elmer
hamed

Streamlines in Elmerpost

Post by hamed »

Dear Elmer friends
I’m using “isocontours” tab in Elmerpost to view flow streamlines. It works nicely, but as shown in the following picture, some numbers appear in the “isocobtours” tab that I’m not familiar with. Can anybody explain what these numbers are? What is their function and what do they indicate about streamlines? Are they an indicator of streamline strength for example?
Thanks a lot,
Regards,
Hamed
ElmerPost Streamlines.jpg
ElmerPost Streamlines.jpg (110.24 KiB) Viewed 6210 times
mzenker

Re: Streamlines in Elmerpost

Post by mzenker »

Hi,

AFAIR those are the values corresponding to the isocontour lines. So in your example, the red line corresponds to the value of 0.6666666666 of the variable you display.

HTH,

Matthias
hamed

Post by hamed »

Hi Matthias
I guess you didn't get my question. I know the red line corresponds to the value of 0.6666666666 of the variable. In fact it's quite obvious. But I can't understand what this value says about streamline. Is it an indicator of streamline strength? For example can anybody say that a streamline with value of 0.9 is stronger than a streamline with value of 0.3?
Regards, Hamed
mzenker

Post by mzenker »

Hmmm,

what I see from your screenshot is that you seem to plot isocontour lines. What I don't see is which variable is represented by the isocontours.
I would check that the isocontours are plotted for the variable you expect.
Anyway, wouldn't a vector plot be a better representation for streamlines?
Just a guess: Are your streamlines all of the same color? Then it may be a kind of an artifact of ElmerPost to use isocontours to represent the streamlines, and use some dummy "streamfunction" variable between 0 and 1 for purely technical reasons.
I must admit that I didn't use ElmerPost for a long time (I use ParaView, don't even have ElmerPost installed any more), so all of the above may not be very helpful...
I assume you have looked into the ElmerPost help?

Matthias