SolidWorks Mesh File Conversion

Post processing utility for Elmer
Bill43
Antispam: Yes

SolidWorks Mesh File Conversion

Post by Bill43 »

SolidWorks Simulation has a very sophisticated and convenient system for model building, meshing, and boundary condition input. Post processing is also powerful.

Elmer has the strength for the user to manipulate the code for novel kinds of analyses not addressible by commercial codes.

Given the large SW user base and clear pre-post power, has there been any attempt to write translators from SW mesh output files to a form compatible with Elmer input?

Thanks for your replies.
raback
Site Admin

Re: SolidWorks Mesh File Conversion

Post by raback »

Hi Bill

Is there a documentation of the SolidWorks output format? Or can it be cracked by visual inspection (if it ascii). I'm afraid both asnwers are no. Typically the commercial codes want to shield the interfaces so that they can choose the software the interface with. If the answer is yes, then of course it could be considered.

-Peter
mzenker

Post by mzenker »

Hi,

I would also be interested in an import of a Solidworks mesh. In my company, we have made several attempts to read a mesh written by Solidworks. The problem was that we could not identify an export format which contains all mesh information needed by Elmer. This information would be for a tetrahedral mesh:

* node numbers and coordinates
* line elements: node numbers and assigmant to a line
* surface triangles: node numbers and assigment to a surface
* volume tetrahedra: node numbers and assigment to a body

The geo format written by Solidworks Simulation does definitively not contain this information. It is the old geostar format which was downgraded for technical reasons (so it is NOT the geo format used by gmsh). It contains EITHER the volume mesh OR the surface mesh.

Finding a way to use a Solidworks mesh in Elmer would solve the problem of nonconformal mesh at the interface between bodies for all users having access to Solidworks, so it would be worth the effort.

Bill43, do you know of way to export a complete mesh as described above from Solidworks? If we find one, writing a parser would not be that difficult as long as the format is not binary.

Matthias
Bill43

Post by Bill43 »

Thanks for the reply.

This is a first try to see if a tranlator already exists. Than none does, or that SW deliberately makes it difficult, would come as no surprise.

I have done so in years past, between Patran neutral file and my own code. It was easier then...
mzenker

Post by mzenker »

Hi,

since the volume + surface mesh cannot be exported simultaneously (at least not in geo format) from Solidworks Simulation, a possible workflow would be the following:

1. Make a surface mesh in Solidworks using bonded solids so that the mesh is conformal at the interfaces
2. Export it in geostar format
3. Import it in gmsh
4. Define solids from meshed surfaces
5. Make a volume mesh
6. Save in msh format
7. Open with Elmer

In order to make this work, we have to do he following things:

* Find out how do step 1 above in Solidworks (I didn't so far)
* Write a geostar -> gmsh translator (not difficult)
* Optionally try to export the geometry in geostar format to automate step 4 above

So essentially we need to solve step 1 - do you know how to make a conformal surface mesh in Solidworks?
Then at least the surface mesh export would be possible.

However, this does not resolve the other items (boundary conditions and postprocessing) in you initial post...

Matthias