Parallel simulations and Paraview

Post processing utility for Elmer
marcos

Parallel simulations and Paraview

Post by marcos »

Hi Elmer Team,

When any variable obtained from parallel simulations is plotted with Paraview (by vtu files) using a surface plot, the colour of some nodes does not correspond with scalar values written on the ElmerSolver result file.

Please find attached tree jpg files in which this problem is shown. The solutions correspond to a steady simulation of a fluid flow over a cylinder located transversally to the flow with periodic conditions on side surfaces.

The file, named "sequential.jpg", shows "velocity X" field over a surface plot obtained from a sequential simulation (non parallel simulation)
the file, named "parallel.jpg, shows the same field over a surface plot obtained from a parallel simulation. It can be seen some nodes with blue colour close to other nodes with red or green colours. The file, named "detailparallel.jpg", shows a zoom in of the previous one.

At the begining, i though it was produced due to numerical problem of the boundary conditions (periodic conditions) imposed on the side surfaces but i have ruled out it as the problem because it also occurs on surfaces with zero velocity (surfaces of a cylinder). I have compared the numeric values of those nodes to rule out computation errors.

Elmer svn-version: 5392 and other version of February 2010 (I don't remember the number)
Paraview Version: 3.8.1

These visualizations problems are not shown if the Postprocessor VTK of Elmer is used.

Is there a solution for this problem?

In a few days, I will test the Xdmf/HDF5 format and I will keep you posted.

Thank in advance.

You are doing a enormous work with Elmer. Thanks
Attachments
"velocity X" field over a surface plot obtained from a sequential simulation (non parallel simulation)
"velocity X" field over a surface plot obtained from a sequential simulation (non parallel simulation)
secuential.jpg (55.78 KiB) Viewed 2948 times
"velocity X" field over a surface plot obtained from a parallel simulation
"velocity X" field over a surface plot obtained from a parallel simulation
parallel.jpg (56.73 KiB) Viewed 2948 times
zoom in of the previous one (parallel.jpg)
zoom in of the previous one (parallel.jpg)
detailparallel.jpg (121.88 KiB) Viewed 2948 times