Export/plot numerical values

Post processing utility for Elmer
mzenker

Export/plot numerical values

Post by mzenker »

Hi,

I want to track the temperature at certain points in my model geometry over time. I know I could do it using auxiliary solvers like savescalars.
My question is: Since the information is in the ElmerPost file, one would naively expect that it must be possible for ElmerPost to export or plot it. Is there such a functionality in ElmerPost or the ElmerGUI postprocessor? If not, could it be added to the wishlist?
(I imagine that after a lengthy simulation run, the user realizes that he has to re-run everything with savescalars...)

Matthias
raback
Site Admin
Antispam: Yes

Re: Export/plot numerical values

Post by raback »

Hi Matthias

I think that ElmerPost is what it is, and will not be developed. If you want to ensure maximum postprocessing features I suggest that you save in VTU format and do the postprocessing with Paraview or Visit. Almost all development efforts are directed to ElmerSolver.

-Peter
mzenker

Post by mzenker »

Hi Peter,

thank you for the clarification. Of course ElmerSolver is the most important part of Elmer, so it seems logical that it receives the development focus. Is your statement also true for the postprocessor included in ElmerGUI?
I will have a look at paraview and visit. Do you think they both are equally suited for postprocessing of Elmer data, or can you recommend one more than the other?

Matthias
raback
Site Admin
Antispam: Yes

Post by raback »

Hi Matthias

Personally I've only tried ViSit shortly so I can't give any preference. Both are based on VTK but Paraview seems to be more widely used. ViSit is developed at Lawrence Livermore while Paraview has backing from Sandia, Los Alamos etc. Kitware provides commercial support for Paraview with office also in Europa (Lyon).

-Peter
mzenker

Post by mzenker »

I will have a look at Paraview, then.
Thank you,

Matthias