ElmerGUI Tutorial 7: Can't reproduce results

General discussion about Elmer
JaronHeng
Antispam: Yes

ElmerGUI Tutorial 7: Can't reproduce results

Post by JaronHeng »

I have gone through the ElmerGUI Tutorial 7: "Magnetic field induced by harmonic current in a wire" and I can not reproduce the results shown in ElmerTutorials_GUI.pdf. I have gone through the example a few times step by step with no success. I suspect the problem lies in the Equation and Boundary Conditions.

The directions on creating the equations mentions "Name = MgDynHarm" and "Name = MgDynPost". I assumed that these are referring to the equations "MgHarm" and "MgDynPost". When setting up the boundary conditions, however, the values are said to be set for the "MgDyn" equation. This solver is not used in our equations and does not contain the right values to be set. I noticed that the values that are to be set are in the "MgHarm" boundary conditions. I tried creating the boundary conditions both ways, but neither way works.

I'm not sure what's going wrong. It could be that I'm not appending the "magnetodynamics.xml" properly, but I am not sure how to check to see if it was appended after using the "append" tool from the definitions page.

I have attached my .sif file.

Thank you for any help,
Jaron
Attachments
case.sif
(4.86 KiB) Downloaded 248 times
raback
Site Admin

Re: ElmerGUI Tutorial 7: Can't reproduce results

Post by raback »

Hi

You have some extra stuff there. In "Equation 3" try to manually change "Active Solvers(2)=2 3" to "1 3".

-Peter
kevinarden

Post by kevinarden »

It looks like you created multiple equations instead of one equation with multiple solvers, both are possible but his tutorial has 1 equation with multiple solvers. The selection of the solver and active on, turns it one for the equation active on needs to be selected for each one.

Model
Equation
Name = MgDynHarm
Active = on
Apply to Bodies = 1 2
Edit Solver Settings
Linear System
Iterative = BiCGStabL
Preconditioning = none
BiCGStabl order = 4
Name = MgDynPost
Active = on
Edit Solver Settings
Solver Specific Options
Calculate Magnetic Field Strenth = on
Calculate Joule Heating = on
Skip Nodal Field = on
Discontinuous Bodies = on
General
Execute Solver = before saving
Add
OK
kevinarden

Post by kevinarden »

The easier way to get the xmls is

The additional definitions should reside in the directory edf-extra within the distribution. Moving the
desired xml files to the edf-directory enables automatic loading of the definitions at start-up.

I linux the is

/usr/share/ElmerGUI

move the xmls in edf-extra to edf in order to get all of the xmls at startup
steve1991

Post by steve1991 »

The easier way to get the xmls is

The additional definitions should reside in the directory edf-extra within the distribution. Moving the
desired erotikchat xml files to the edf-directory enables automatic loading of the definitions at start-up.

I linux the is

/usr/share/ElmerGUI

move the xmls in edf-extra to edf in order to get all of the xmls at startup
Brilliant