General discussion about Elmer
sebastien ROUQUETTE
Antispam: Yes

Mesh to Mesh Interpolation

Post by sebastien ROUQUETTE »

MeshInterp.tar.gz
(3.02 KiB) Downloaded 226 times
Hello everybody

I have a question of how to import a data from a previous result (so file.result & mesh A) to mesh B (i want to create a starting file).

I read few topics about it:
1 - viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2260&p=6863&hilit=i ... mesh#p6863
2 - viewtopic.php?f=21&t=3373&p=11005&hilit ... b89#p11005
3 - viewtopic.php?f=21&t=4367&hilit=mesh+interpolation
4 - viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6866&p=21856&hilit= ... ion#p21856
5 - viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11&p=21028&hilit=in ... nce#p21028

either the thread is not completed with the solution or there is a solution but i'm not able to run it!!!!

i did a mix between thread 5 (juha) and 4 (Raback) and got something that works!

I did a heat transfer computation on mesh A and then import the temperature results on Mesh B (that is slightly different from Mesh A. I added another small domain). I succeeded to transfer the temperature on Mesh B EXCEPT that the small domain is initialised to ZERO as ... the program never found the value = OK. So how to set this value different to ZERo such as room temperature?
I attached the files (sif, f90, geo from gmsh... just run it and you will see). the geometries were generated with GMSH so create the .msh file and use ElmerGrid 14 2 file.msh to create the mesh folder for each geometries.
there is 2 fortran files. Again compile it with "elmerf90 -o heatsource.f90 heatsource" as well for interpol.f90. run ElmerSolver (check that the right name of is in "ElmerSolver_startinfo". check the results with paraview.

My second question is more about this solver MeshToMeshSolver.F90 is there any example of how to use it somewhere? because i don't really understand it... and how to use it? is someone can help me or give me somes clues about this solver?.

Anyway, if someone can answer to one of my two questions... thank you in advance!
Regards
Sebastien
Rouquette Sébastien
University of Montpellier / Mechanical and Civil Engineering Lab. / Welding Group
raback
Site Admin

Re: Mesh to Mesh Interpolation

Post by raback »

Hi Sebastian,

Yes, it would perhaps be easier to guide if you would try to use the Mesh2MeshSolver. There are some consistency tests starting with "NonconformingRestart".

The idea of the solver was to have better control of how things are mapped between different meshes. So you can specify which variables to map and from which mesh. It seems to work also in parallel.

So maybe you could try to mimic the test cases and if you face problems though the case here for debugging.

-Peter
sebastien ROUQUETTE

Re: Mesh to Mesh Interpolation

Post by sebastien ROUQUETTE »

Hello Peter

thanks for your answer... i did not connect to the forum since my last question!!!
at first, i said that i did not find the tests "nonconformingrestart" but after few minutes of research... i finally found the hithub website and downloaded the test cases... so i need some time to understand these and try to use it for my studied case!!!! see you later (with some examples maybe).
cheers
sebastien
Rouquette Sébastien
University of Montpellier / Mechanical and Civil Engineering Lab. / Welding Group