Saving Error Estimate for AMR

General discussion about Elmer
edge025
Antispam: Yes

Saving Error Estimate for AMR

Post by edge025 »

Hello,

Thank you for the help that has been given so far.

I am trying to do an adaptive mesh refinement on a 3d mesh (303 and 504 elements) for coupled cfd and thermal analysis. Is there a way that I can save the local error estimate that Elmer does internally with "Adapt Mesh"?? The purpose is to massage it with some scripts and get it into gmsh as a background mesh.

Thanks.

Regards,
Joe
edge025

Re: Saving Error Estimate for AMR

Post by edge025 »

I have been fishing around for a solution to my post above and have been playing around with the Adapt Mesh options and noticed that Elmer writes a "bgmesh" file. This file looks like it can be used as a background mesh. It looks to possess the coordinates of the nodes and then the recommended mesh density at that node. My next task, I think, is when Elmer tries to call "Mesh3D" to use gmsh with the bgmesh.

Regards,
Joe
edge025

Re: Saving Error Estimate for AMR

Post by edge025 »

Just a quick update: Looks like using mmgtools, not gmsh is the best way to go about remeshing. When I started this AMR, I was working on a coupled CFD and thermal model. I had to go to another project with the whitney solver and it looks like that does not support adaptive error estimate in Elmer currently. When I get back to working on the AMR I hope to provide more updates. Any help appreciated.

Regards,
Joe