Calculation of Magnetic Force in 3D simulation

General discussion about Elmer
Duván
Antispam: Yes

Calculation of Magnetic Force in 3D simulation

Post by Duván »

Hello,

I'm working on the 3D simulation of an electromagnetic system in which there is a coil and a permanent magnet. The coil has a current density and it produces a magnetic field; this field acts in such a way that it exerts a force on the permanent magnet.

I want to calculate the force that the coil exerts on the permanent magnet.

I am using "MagnetoDynamicsCalcFields" solver and specifically I define a component in which I indicate to calculate the magnetic force, but I don't know how this is functioning. I don't know if the force calculated is on the permanent magnet or is the force that the permanent magnet exerts on the coil.

Please explain me how this component works and what is the force that it calculates (whether the force acting on the permanent magnet or the one acting on the coil). A last thing is that I extracted the force and the file with the calculations had three values making reference to the force, what do those 3 values mean?

Thank you in advance.
raback
Site Admin
Antispam: Yes

Re: Calculation of Magnetic Force in 3D simulation

Post by raback »

Hi

Basically the calc fields can compute nodal magnetic forces that are in units of Force i.e. Newtons in SI units.

To have the total force you need to sum up the nodal forces in given domain. For this you can use the component concept.

The force always has three components corresponding to each coordinate direction.

-Peter