Load project

General discussion about Elmer
niranjan9ua
Antispam: Yes

Load project

Post by niranjan9ua »

Hi,

I am facing unusual issue with Elmer. After completing modelling, I saved "save project" but next time when i open this file using "load project" option i can not find material, BCs, equations and other things which i defined before saving.

Some please guide me why this is happening and what should i do to recover data.

Kind regards
mzenker

Re: Load project

Post by mzenker »

Hi,

normally "load project" lets you select a folder, not a file. You have to select the folder where the file egproject.xml resides.

HTH,
Matthias
niranjan9ua

Post by niranjan9ua »

Hi Matthias,

You are right, its folder and have files:
Xml file, boundary, element, header, node, prof, msh and sif files.

When I upload this folder i can see the model but can't see material, equation, body force and other parameter i defined.
Please see the attached *.zip file for your reference.

I am using same computer and same version of elmer. I created project and saved and closed it. when open it next time after few minutes this happens.

Kind regards
Attachments
nm.zip
(810.1 KiB) Downloaded 346 times
mzenker

Post by mzenker »

Hi,

I have tried to open your case with my ElmerGUI and have seen the same behaviour. With ElmerGUIlogger (which resides in the bin directory of the Elmer installation) I see the following error messages:

Code: Select all

Load project: LineEdit: mismatch with object name
*** coordinateScalingEdit ***
Load project: RadioButton: mismatch with object name
*** execBeforeSaving ***
Load project: RadioButton: mismatch with object name
*** execBeforeSaving ***
ERROR: The current edf setup conflicts with the project. Aborting.
So I think there is a bug in ElmerGUI. Looks like some fields are written, but not read properly.
@Elmer team: Could someone have a look at this...?

I'm afraid all you can do until the bug is fixed is to use your sif file with "ElmerNonGUI", i.e. edit it with a text editor and start the solver from the command line.

HTH,
Matthias
niranjan9ua

Post by niranjan9ua »

Hi Matthias,

Thanks for quick response.
raback
Site Admin

Post by raback »

Hi

I think we have two different issues here.

a) The original problem may come from the fact the the menu structures were appended but this was not done before reloading the case. It is often more convinient to copy the interesting xml files to directory $ELMERHOME/share/ElmerGUI/edf-extra to directory edf. This way you skip the annoying manual step.

b) I think the error that Matthias faced was due to fact that some time some new gui features were added i.e. to enable to choose the "after saving" slot. I suspect that there is a mismatch in the versions.

The underlying reason for all this is of course the rigid way how the xml project is saved. If you look to it you look at the egproject.xml file you see that the is lines such as

Code: Select all

<item index="10" id="10" name="Mesh Update">
I would think that getting rid of these enumbered entities would allow more robust saving/loading of the projects. This would probably be not too big a task. The current developers just don't have much experience in Qt and are focusing on aspect in ElmerSolver.

niranjan, could you try to copy the relevant xml files from edf-extra to edf, and repeat the whole process again. I would hope that then the projects should work.

-Peter
mzenker

Post by mzenker »

Hi,

I have just installed the lastest nightly build for Windoze. I still cannot open niranjan's project.
niranjan, if you still cannot load your project with the xml files copied into the edf directory, could you launch ElmerGUIlogger, retry to open your project, and post the error messages?

Matthias
niranjan9ua

Post by niranjan9ua »

Hi Peter,

I copied relevant .xml files from EXTRA EDF to EDF folder and it is working now.

So for me your 1st suggestion worked.

Thanks