Elmer included equations and Postprocessing

General discussion about Elmer
Roland
Antispam: Yes

Elmer included equations and Postprocessing

Post by Roland »

Hi,
I am new in Elmer and have it installed recently. I have 2 questions:
1/ After installing Elmer I see that there are a only few equations included(electrostatics,heat equation, Navier-Stockes,etc...). On a youtube tutorial I saw that there are other possible additionnal equations (like turbulent flow, etc...). How is it possible to get these additionnal equations in Elmer?
2/ After having successfully solved the 1rst Elmer tutorial (Heat Equation- Temperature field of a solide object) and tried to run the postprocessing (by Start ElmerPost or Start ElmerVTK) I got nothing or just a blank window. How is it possible to run the Elmer postprocessing? Or must I use another external postprocessing tool like Paraview?
Thanks a lot for your help!
Rolans
mzenker

Re: Elmer included equations and Postprocessing

Post by mzenker »

Hi,

1/ Many of the missing solver files for ElmerGUI are in the edf-extra directory in share/ElmerGUI in the Elmer installation directory. Just move them to the edf directory.
2/ ParaView is the recommended postprocessor. To use it, change the results file extension from .ep to .vtu in the Simulation section under Model->setup.

HTH,

Matthias
Roland

Post by Roland »

Thanks a lot! It works now fine! I installed Paraview and see my first Temperature plot results! Just another question: for the moment I open Paraview with the Elmer .vtu file, externally from Elmer. Is it possible to open Paraview directly in the Elmer environment by typing Run/Start Paraview (which does not work for the moment probably because Elmer has no specified path for calling Paraview). Is there a trick for that?
Thanks in advance!
mzenker

Post by mzenker »

Hi,

I am not sure, but you can try to set the environment variable PARAVIEW_HOME to the ParaView installation directory. I think ElmerGUI uses that one to call ParaView.

HTH,

Matthias
Roland

Post by Roland »

Hi,
Thanks for that! And how can one access the Paraview environment variable PARAVIEW_HOME?
Regards
mzenker

Post by mzenker »

Which OS?
Roland

Post by Roland »

Windows 64bits
mzenker

Post by mzenker »

You have to go to the environment variables, and add a new one. In Windows 7 it's under System->Advanced settings->Environment variables (at least I think those are the english terms, my Windows speaks german... ;) ). For Windows 10 it might be different. If you enter "Windows environment variables" in a search engine, you will find the answer...

HTH,

Matthias
Roland

Post by Roland »

Thanks a lot! I'll try this and keep you informed.
I submitted a new post concerning the electromagnetics but have no reply until now. Perhaps you have an answer: when working at high frequencies, the electromagnetic skin depth is small compared to the dimensions of the electroconductive bodies. It is then no more necessary to mesh the inside of these bodies since the induced current remains only on the surface of these bodies. It is then convenient to use an "Impedance Boundary Condition" BC on the surface of the concerned bodies (this saves a lot of meshes and speeds up the solver!). Is it possible to get such a BC in the Elmer electromagnetics solvers (it is possible in Comsol)?
Thanks for your help!
Best