Beginners question about 3D magnetic field calculation

General discussion about Elmer
Want_2_Know
Antispam: Yes

Beginners question about 3D magnetic field calculation

Post by Want_2_Know »

Dear all,
First of all thank you for the great job you guys are doing! I am impressed!
I need to calculate the x, y, z magnetic components of a permanent magnet. I want to calculate the angle with the x,y,z components. I did use FEMM before, with FEMM I mean the program FEMM. With this program I can not calculate the strength of the field in 3D though.

Situation:
I have a rod magnet and in FEMM I can basicly draw a line next to the rod magnet and the program gives me a graph / table with the magnetic values in X direction and in Z direction. Now I need to make the line at top to get a more negative Y and the line at the bottom to get a more positive Y. Then I want to obtain data telling me the magnetic values in X and Z direction, (even better would be in x,y and z direction). And again calculate the magnetics field angle. I can not do that with FEMM.

Question:
-Can I do this with Elmer?
-There is a lot of documentation, I did read ¨ Tutorial 12 Magnetostatics – Magnetic field resulting from a permanent magnet ¨ but there they use a solver named: ¨ magnetodynamics2d.xml¨ the 2d in the text suggest that it is for 2D only and I can not use Elmer. Or is it only the solver I can not use? Are there any other solvers available?
-If Elmer is usable for my purpose can some please tell me what documentation I need to read?

I would really appreciate the help!
Attachments
3D.png
3D.png (13.09 KiB) Viewed 2741 times
mzenker

Re: Beginners question about 3D magnetic field calculation

Post by mzenker »

Hi,

you can consult the Elmer Models Manual, especially chapter 15 "computation of magnetic fields in 3D".

HTH,

Matthias