Beginners: Magnetodynamics 3D

General discussion about Elmer
Hale_ru
Antispam: Yes

Beginners: Magnetodynamics 3D

Post by Hale_ru »

I just got Elmer with a very certain purpose of simulating eddy current inspection sensor.
Most magneto-dynamic solvers, as you know, are 2D-only. And I need better results explaining "magnetic pit" field distribution in non-axisymmetric system.

Following the ELMER manual I got SALOME, made my mesh with separate groups of volumes and groups of boundaries.

And now I am stuck, as there is no tutorial for ELMER magnetodynamics 3D. There is a manual for WhitneyAVSolver, it explains options, but does not teach the problem setup and solving procedures.

Can you please recommend me a link to a tutorial, or step-by-step manual document for setting up magnetodynamic problem with electric currents? Some pdf, blog or board-thread?
Simple high-frequency driven coil with ferrite core would tell me enough to proceed with specific configuration.

For me, frequency-domain or transient SIN()-driven 3D solutions, both are acceptable. Ferrite material handling is desired, so, it is the second question. Which solver mode should I use to handle a ferrite core in 3D?
raback
Site Admin

Re: Beginners: Magnetodynamics 3D

Post by raback »

Hi

There is no GUI tutorial for 3D Magnetodynamics. Basically I think that the xml file should be pretty ok but this just hasn't been done.

Now, you could look at the test cases starting with "mgdyn". There are also some harmonic ones.

-Peter
Hale_ru

Post by Hale_ru »

where can I find that "mgdyn" ?
I just don't know what to do with the system. All my previous experience is related to complete products like HFSS, CADs(ME10, AutoCAD, 3DMAX)... the only modular thing I know is OpenEMS, but it's quite straightforward with tutorials... And I am completely lost here.
mzenker

Post by mzenker »

Hi,

if they are not installed at your system (look for a directory called "tests" in you Elmer installation directory), you will find the tests here: https://github.com/ElmerCSC/elmerfem/tr ... /fem/tests. They contain many more examples than the worked tutorials.

HTH,

Matthias