3-D magnetic field simulation produced by metal plate

General discussion about Elmer
markshieh0529
Antispam: Yes

3-D magnetic field simulation produced by metal plate

Post by markshieh0529 »

Hi,

I am pretty new to the Elmer solver, and really need a help for simulating the 3-D magnetic field distribution produced by metal plate. The metal plate is irregularly shaped and has two ends connected to a DC or AC ( up to 1 MHz frequency ) electric source. The simulation I have to work for is the magnetic field distribution which is produced by irregularly current flows on the metal plate.

So, is it possible to use Elmer solver to do this simulation ? If yes, would you please tell me more about it ( very much appreciate if details could be given )? Thank you very much.

Mark
mzenker

Re: 3-D magnetic field simulation produced by metal plate

Post by mzenker »

Hi Mark,

I think this is possible.
To learn more about Elmer, you can visit the documentation page https://www.csc.fi/web/elmer/documentation, where you will find tutorials and manuals describing the different parts of Elmer. The Models Manual is of particular interest as it describes the different available solvers.

HTH,

Matthias
markshieh0529

Post by markshieh0529 »

Hi Matthias,

Thank you very much for your reply. Do you know any more fundamental manual for the connection between mathematical model and Elmer solver setup ( step-by-step description would be preferred )? Thank you very much.

Mark
mzenker

Post by mzenker »

Hi Mark,

why do you need that? Do you want to write your own solver? If you are new to Elmer, it is advisable do some of the tutorials, and to start with the existing solvers, as described in the models manual. For your case, I would try the MagnetoDynamics solver (chapter 14 in the Models manual).
Now for writing your own solver, you can look into the Solver manual and also in the programmer's tutorial: http://www.nic.funet.fi/pub/sci/physics ... torial.pdf.

HTH,

Matthias
annier

Post by annier »

Hi Mark,
The suggestions given by Matthias in post 4 is recommendable for your queries. The collections of Elmer documents or Manuals are in:
http://www.nic.funet.fi/pub/sci/physics/elmer/doc/

Yours Sincerely,
Anil Kunwar
Anil Kunwar
Faculty of Mechanical Engineering, Silesian University of Technology, Gliwice
markshieh0529

Post by markshieh0529 »

Hi Matthias and Anil,

Thank you very much for your replies. As your suggestion, I have spent a while in studying it and did finished a simple example, but the result is weird " solution trivially Zero". It shows nothing (all zeros) in the result. I used the "magnetodynamics" solver, and my consideration for the current source is to set up the Boundary Conditions for those two ends (plane surfaces) which connect the external electrical source: +1 for one end, and -1 for the other. I didn't set up any other Boundary Condition since I don't really know whether it needs or not. Would you or anybody else please me tell what I had done wrong? Thank you very much.

p.s. "case.sif" is in the attachment.

Mark
Attachments
case.sif
(3.65 KiB) Downloaded 441 times