3D 2-phase flow simulation (gas/liquid)

General discussion about Elmer
Epy
Antispam: Yes

3D 2-phase flow simulation (gas/liquid)

Post by Epy »

Hi, been a while since I've been on here or involved with any CFD. My company is wanting me to try to find an open-source package that can simulate 2 or even 3-phase fluid flow. I've done simple single-phase flow simulations using Code_Saturne before and am pretty familiar with it, but I've been wanting to start using Elmer as it seems like a more powerful package. My question is, can this be done in Elmer, and will it require custom Fortran? Really don't even know where to start. Would appreciate a nudge in the right direction, or even a suggestion for a different CFD package that might be able to accommodate me better. I'm pretty handy with SALOME so I can get the mesh made and post-process the results and whatnot, just don't know which open-source packages, if any, can do this out of the box or with little modification. Thanks in advance.
mzenker

Re: 3D 2-phase flow simulation (gas/liquid)

Post by mzenker »

Hi,

I am not a CFD expert, but a quick search in the forum reveals that in principle fluid flows with more than one phase can be simulated with Elmer, see the following posts:
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=4366&p=15664
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1754&p=5347
That said, you should also have a look at OpenFoam which is certainly more specialized on CFD.
More specific CFD questions will have to be answered by someone else... ;)

HTH,

Matthias
mzenker

Re: 3D 2-phase flow simulation (gas/liquid)

Post by mzenker »

To get started with Elmer, you can have a look at the tutorials. The solvers are described in the Models manual.
Elmer can import the mesh in unv format as exported by Salomé.

HTH,

Matthias