Simulation of a thermal deposition process

General discussion about Elmer
Michael Schuch
Antispam: Yes

Re: Simulation of a thermal deposition process

Post by Michael Schuch »

Hello Sebastien,
thank you very much for this idea. I will try this in the next days/week.

Best wishes

Michael
sebastien ROUQUETTE

Post by sebastien ROUQUETTE »

Here is where i am on the HEAT TRANSFER study of steel wire deposition on steel plate with a Gas Metal Arc Welding process (GMAW).

Everything is written in this short report.. normally dedicated to my PhD students... i should have read it another time before putting online here.

The compressed folder should have the following files: sif, mesh (from GMSH so do an ElmerGrid before), UDF.
SIF file is slightly modified with constants defined in MATc language.

Well i'm waiting for comments... to improve it :mrgreen:
Attachments
User Manual of Gmsh Elmer Paraview v1.0.pdf
sort of tuto on this work: wire deposition on plate with gmaw process.
(826.12 KiB) Downloaded 319 times
waam.tar.gz
compressed folder with sif, udf, mesh files
(678.93 KiB) Downloaded 299 times
Rouquette Sébastien
University of Montpellier / Mechanical and Civil Engineering Lab. / Welding Group
raback
Site Admin

Post by raback »

Hi Sebastian

Nice work! These kind of detailed descriptions are really needed to increase the usage of the software in various applicatin areas.

With quick reading I have one comment: The "Active Solvers" are used to create the field variables and the related matrices for the FEM discreatization. When you know the elements where the solver is active this can be achieved. Now the auxiliary solvers such as "SaveScalars" and "SaveLine" etc. most often do not require definition of field variables. So you don't have to add them to any list of Active Solvers. They will anyhow be execuded when their turn comes up. So you have one unnecessary step in your manual editing part...

-Peter
sebastien ROUQUETTE

Post by sebastien ROUQUETTE »

thank you Peter... i will update it... as soon as i can ...

It takes a long time to do such a work... i wanted to do the same with a previous work i did 3 years ago... but i lacked of time...

My idea was identical to what you said... if more users could use Elmer ... it would also help me to "meet" other scientist in my field of interest and go further in some simulations ...

Cheers
Rouquette Sébastien
University of Montpellier / Mechanical and Civil Engineering Lab. / Welding Group
raback
Site Admin

Post by raback »

Hi, no need to edit it I just had to give one comment to prove that I read it ;-) -Peter