GregD
Antispam: Yes

Results Directory seems broken

Post by GregD »

I'm using Elmer 8.0 Release on Windows.

My directory structure is:
MyDirectory/mesh
MyDirectory/thisRun
The first is for the mesh files, the second is for the run output files (there will be several restarts, each with lots of output files, which I would like in separate folders).

My sif file contains:

Code: Select all

Header
  CHECK KEYWORDS Warn
  Mesh DB ".." "mesh"
  Include Path ""
  Results Directory ""
End

Output File = "case00.result"
If I start elmersolver from the myDirectory/thisRun directory I get an error that "./mesh/case.result" does not exist (I am writing a restart file).

However, if I change my directory structure to this:
MyDirectory/mesh for the mesh files
MyDirectory/thisRun for the run output files
MyDirectory/thisRun/mesh
And I again start elmersolver from the myDirectory/thisRun directory I get no error HOWEVER the result files end up in
MyDirectory/mesh

If change the sif file to

Code: Select all

Header
  CHECK KEYWORDS Warn
  Mesh DB ".." "mesh"
  Include Path ""
  Results Directory "looksLikeABug"
End

Output File = "case00.result"
And I change my directory structure to this:
MyDirectory/mesh for the mesh files
MyDirectory/thisRun for the run output files
MyDirectory/thisRun/looksLikeABug/mesh
the output files end up in the MyDirectory/thisRun/looksLikeABug/mesh directory.
mika

Re: Results Directory seems broken

Post by mika »

Hi,

If you start ElmerSolver from the directory MyDirectory/thisRun and have the mesh files in the directory MyDirectory/mesh, you could try defining

Mesh DB "../mesh" "."
Results Directory "."

to get *.result file written into the directory MyDirectory/thisRun (this seems to work at least with Linux). The trouble seems to be related to that Elmer uses the value of the second argument of the keyword "Mesh DB" to create the location for the result file. Here having the dot "." in the Results Directory definition is also essential.

-- Mika
GregD
Antispam: Yes

Re: Results Directory seems broken

Post by GregD »

mika wrote:Hi,

If you start ElmerSolver from the directory MyDirectory/thisRun and have the mesh files in the directory MyDirectory/mesh, you could try defining

Mesh DB "../mesh" "."
Results Directory "."

to get *.result file written into the directory MyDirectory/thisRun (this seems to work at least with Linux). The trouble seems to be related to that Elmer uses the value of the second argument of the keyword "Mesh DB" to create the location for the result file. Here having the dot "." in the Results Directory definition is also essential.

-- Mika
Thank you. This works.