model coupling

General discussion about Elmer
dimier

model coupling

Post by dimier »

Hi,
I would like to couple a one phase multi dimensional model with a 1D multi-phase model; the heat being the only variable of concern. The two models are implemented using Elmer.
At a first glance, the simplest way to simulate it, would be to use the heat field issued from my two phase simulation in order to apply it on a specific boundary of my one phase multi dimensional simulation; that boundary being used as the mesh of my 1D model. The two simulations are transient. Do you have comments on that way to proceed?
Do you have already, in terms of coupling, similar examples I can take a look at?
Thanks in advance.
Alain
raback
Site Admin
Antispam: Yes

Re: model coupling

Post by raback »

Hi

You have some avenues that you can follow but maybe not something working out of the box.

What kind of coupling do you need: implicit/explicit?

Of implicit coupling there is a 2D/3D coupling example in MortarMixedDimensions. This offers better convergence of the coupling but the equations need to be matching.

Of explicit coupling the best example is probably ArteryOutlet test case. There N-S is coupled to 1D flow with a different formulation. The explicit coupling may be ok particularly for transient cases.

-Peter