Application fields of Elmer

General discussion about Elmer

What are your main application fields of Elmer?

Heat transfer
28%
Fluid mechanics
26%
Solid mechanics
21%
Electromagnetics
19%
Quantum mechanics
2%
Something else (please specify)
5%

Total votes: 274

lazyTom
Antispam: Yes

Re: Application fields of Elmer

Post by lazyTom » 16 Nov 2019, 22:03

Hi Peter,

that is very interesting, I'll have a go and see how it works.

I assume that the Conforming BC examples can be found in the test cases directory. Please let me know if there are any other sources.

Thanks,

Marco

Brando

Post by Brando » 03 Dec 2019, 23:25

Hi,

I'm fully new to Elmer and really like the multiphysical approach of it. So far, I've only been involved in mechanics using commercial codes such as Abaqus and Ansys. But now I have a new application plus I am looking for good open source codes:

I want to model the movement (without electrochemical reactions for now) of small parts in a rotating electroplating drum. This involves a free surface sloshing-like fluid boundary (drum is ca. half filled with electrolyte) interacting with the parts. I was thinking of either:
- using discrete particles for the parts (only spherical particles possible?), or
- FSI (only possible with elasticity or also with rigid bodies?)

It would be very helpful if an experienced user could judge whether Elmer could be a suitable choice here?

Kind regards
Brando

raback
Site Admin

Post by raback » 04 Dec 2019, 00:42

Hi Brando,

This might be outside the capabilities of Elmer. Sloshing has been done only for fluids that do it in a civilized manner (using moving mesh & ALE formulation). Severe sloshing would be better of with VOF or SMH methods. We have levelset but it is pretty simple one and does not conserve mass. Elmer does have particles but there can be no shear between them currently. I would probably look at codes that were built on particles in mind. FEM excels on PDEs that have some minimization principle associated and you've none of that here.

-Peter

Brando

Post by Brando » 04 Dec 2019, 11:14

Thanks for the fast response, Peter. Yes, I am in parallel looking into codes that enable the coupling between SPH and DEM (like SPHysics). I was just hoping to find a more general purpose program (Elmer) for that, so I can also use it for other tasks ...

Anyway, thanks for the valuable advice and regards.

Brando