Elmer on a pc-cluster

General discussion about Elmer
Pisolino
Antispam: Yes

Elmer on a pc-cluster

Post by Pisolino »

Is it possible to have Elmer running on a pc-cluster ? it could be interesting to reduce calculation time.

Andrea
Pisolino

Re: Elmer on a pc-cluster

Post by Pisolino »

Should this procedure works also for Elmer ? it's based on MPI as Elmer does for paralleling processes.
Pisolino

Post by Pisolino »

If someone is interested i'm writing a wiki on how to easily split elmer simulation on a DIY cluster using common pcs and MPI
petroo

Post by petroo »

Hello Pisolino,

yes, we tested the possibility over here, too, some two years ago. The main objective was to use computers of the same bit size - coupling 32-bit systems with 64-bit systems did NOT work.

We did not pursue this direction as for our problems there was not much sense in further domain splitting.

But if you are writing a wiki anyhow that would be nice to know about. Maybe we may return to that approach some time in the future and can contribute some minor details.

Regards,

Peter
vincer1

Post by vincer1 »

It looks like no one posted to this, so I'll throw in my 2 cents: I have a beowulf cluster using LAM and OpenMPI, and Elmer works great on it (just set up your processes to use the extra machines). That said, one of my machines is a lot faster than the others, so it definitely ends up doing most (80%) of the work, but there is a speed up when then other machines are pulled in...