Tetgen plugin

The graphical user interface of Elmer
Gary R
Antispam: Yes

Tetgen plugin

Post by Gary R »

Hi all.
My system - kubuntu 18.04, Over VirtualBox, on Debian Buster. Elmer from PPA.

I have tetgen and libtet.so.1.5 installed. How do I get tetgen activated in ElmerGUI?

Gary R.
Gary R

Re: Tetgen plugin

Post by Gary R »

Please, would someone answer this question!!! There are references all over the place about using tetgen as a plug-in, but absolutely no information of how to implement it.

Gary R
kevinarden

Post by kevinarden »

kevinarden

Post by kevinarden »

mzenker

Post by mzenker »

Hi,

what do you need tetgen for?
Standard workflow ist to make the mesh with a dedicated mesher like gmsh or Salomé and import it into Elmer.

Matthias
kevinarden

Post by kevinarden »

I agree that the best tools to use with Elmer is Salome for geometry and mesh creation and Paraview for post-processing. They each have their own tutorials. For Salome you can export *.unv files and open them in ElmerGUI or use ELmerGrid to convert. Created groups in Salome become bodies or boundaries. 2D face groups are bodies, and edge elements are 2D boundaries. 3D solids are bodies, and faces are boundaries in 3D models.

They both come with downloadable binaries for linux and windows.

https://www.paraview.org/download/

https://www.salome-platform.org/downloa ... nt-version
Gary R

Post by Gary R »

I agree that paraview is a good choice for post processing. Although some people seem to prefer Visit. I'm not so sure about the rest of the suggestions. After reading some papers on recent developments in triangulation methods and specifically, hard to mesh shapes, I have come to the conclusion that Tetgen is now far superior to the other meshers available. A good example of a hard to mesh shape is a beam with a crack in it. Most meshers will produce results that way under represent the stresses at the bottom of the crack. For run of the mill problems it probably doesn't make much difference whether I use gmsh or netgen bit I would really like to get my system up and running so I could test things out.
kevinarden

Post by kevinarden »

I thought the default tet mesher in gmsh was tetgen, that is what the documentation appears to say.

ElmerGUI expects the library to be named tetgen.so and be located in the ELMER_HOME/lib when installing from the PPA on an UBUNTU system ELMER_HOME/lib is /usr/share/elmersolver/lib

So you could copy your tetgen.so.1.5 to /usr/share/elmersolver/lib