Post by kevinarden »

Thanks Mika, great job.

Kevin
UNDstudent
Antispam: Yes

Re: Elmer Challenge

Post by UNDstudent »

Mika,

Thank you! I'm trying my best to understand and recreate your sif file. Again, I'm completely new to Elmer. All the work I've been able to accomplish thus far is mainly based off tutorials and I'm having a difficult time finding tutorials regarding the shell solver.

When I started working with the SMITC solver, I transferred the elastic plate XML file from the edf-extra folder to the edf folder in order to access the equation set in Elmer. I can't find a shell solver XML file in the edf folders. I attempted transferring all XML files from edf-extra to edf and editing the solver settings to see if its under a separate title with no luck. How can I access this equation set within Elmer?
kevinarden

Post by kevinarden »

ElmerGUI will only get you a small set of Elmer capability. You will have to learn ElmerGrid and ElmerSolver command lines.
UNDstudent

Post by UNDstudent »

Kevin,

Understood, thank you.
raback
Site Admin

Post by raback »

Hi,

Yes, the serious use of Elmer tends to be more about rather static workflows where the power comes from scripting, not from clicking. One could basically take any model in Elmer Models Manual and create an XML file for them to be usable via the GUI. Even the FredCAD and Salome Elmer plugin projects seem to support the XML files.

When you are working with sif files directly you can take some examples among the ~600 test cases.

-Peter
kevinarden

Post by kevinarden »

I started a shell solver xml for ElmerGUI. I was able to build most of the example, but still had to use the edit sif command to make minor changes. Some of the options I could add using the free text input. The large displacement and deform mesh check boxes didn't work in the solver general options. Could not find a way to select Cartesian 3D in the setup.
shellsolver.xml
(5.72 KiB) Downloaded 278 times
kevinarden

Post by kevinarden »

case.sif built with shellsolver.xml. Calculate Stresses and Calculate Strains options did not work.Does shellsolver calculate stresses?
case.sif
(2.3 KiB) Downloaded 263 times
raback
Site Admin

Post by raback »

Hi Kevin,

Nice work! We'll hopefully have time to review it and at to the distribution. Would this be ok to you?

The "Cartesian 3D" is redundant usually as the code determines the mesh dimension from the coordinates & element dimensions. Hence you can usually use "Cartesian" both in 2D and 3D.

-Peter
kevinarden

Post by kevinarden »

That would be fine with me. i would like to get the check boxes for large displacement and displace mesh working. I am reviewing the Elmer Models manual for the shell solver to see what other options are available. I will test the Cartesian.
kevinarden

Post by kevinarden »

The solution appears to have worked correctly with just Cartesian selected, however the manual says

7.4 Keywords
Simulation
Coordinate System String Cartesian 3D
The coordinate system should be selected to be three-dimensional, although basis functions for
computation correspond to 2-D finite elements.