Defining Current Density for Magnetic Analysis

The graphical user interface of Elmer
dvarx
Antispam: Yes

Defining Current Density for Magnetic Analysis

Post by dvarx »

Hello everyone,

I would like to do a simulation of a static Magnetic Field which is generated by a static current density J. So I create a Magnetodynamic Equation (MgHarm) with the following body force:

Code: Select all

Body Force 1
  Name = "Current Density"
  Current Density 2 = 0
  Current Density Im 1 = 0
  Current Density 1 = 0
  Current Density Im 3 = 0
  Current Density Im 2 = 0
  Current Density 3 = 0
End
My question is how can I define the current density components as functions of the spatial coordinates (x,y,z)? For example, assume I want to define the current density in the following way (assuming a cylindrical coordinate system):
CodeCogsEqn (2).gif
CodeCogsEqn (2).gif (2.13 KiB) Viewed 5373 times
Could I use an expression similar to this one (C-Syntax) in order to define the x-Component of the Current Density?

Current Density 1 = (abs(z)<h0&&sqrt(x*x+y*y)<rho_outer&&sqrt(x*x+y*y)>rho_inner)?(1/sqrt(x*x+y*y)*(-y)*J0):0
		Current Density Im 1 = 0
raback
Site Admin

Re: Defining Current Density for Magnetic Analysis

Post by raback »

Hi

I would rather redommend making writing this as a small Fortran routine as it will be a lot faster and easier to debug. MATC makes string conversions back and forth making it painfully slow. I personally only use it for BCs and for testing.

-Peter
dvarx

Post by dvarx »

raback wrote: 02 Jan 2019, 00:58 Hi

I would rather redommend making writing this as a small Fortran routine as it will be a lot faster and easier to debug. MATC makes string conversions back and forth making it painfully slow. I personally only use it for BCs and for testing.

-Peter
Thanks for your response.

Is there a template for such Fortran routines (or the source code of a working example)? I have been looking in the non-gui tutorial but I couldn't find the Fortran source code for the examples which use Fortran routines.
raback
Site Admin

Post by raback »

Hi

Well there are plenty of UDFs among the tests. Any Real valued keyword can usually be MATC expression, UDF etc. This would be one of the simplest examples (untested):

FUNCTION CurrDensX( model, n, args) RESULT( f )
  USE DefUtils

IMPLICIT NONE
  TYPE(Model_t) :: model
  INTEGER :: n
  REAL(KIND=dp) :: args(3), f

REAL(KIND=dp) :: x,y,z,r
  REAL(KIND=dp), PARAMETER :: H0 = 1.23, Rin = 1.0, Rout = 1.2, J0 = 4.56

x = args(1)
  y = args(2)
  z = args(3) 
  r = SQRT( x**2 + y**2 )

IF( ABS( z ) < H0 .AND. ( Rout - r ) * ( r - Rin ) > 0.0_dp ) THEN
    f = -y * J0 / r
  ELSE
    f = 0.0_dp
  END IF    
END FUNCTION CurrDensX
And you would compile it as

elmerf90 -o CurrDens.so CurrDens.F90 
and call it in code as

Current Density 1 = Variable "coordinate"
  Real Procedure "CurrDens" "CurrDensX"
Also place a similar CurrDensY in the same module.

Note that this is a step function so it does not integrate accurately. Rather define a body that defines the coil cross-section to have a clean step.

No need to define zeros as that's the default.

-Peter
dvarx

Post by dvarx »

Hello

Thanks for your answer. I am trying a simple test problem with a spherical charge density:
CodeCogsEqn.gif
CodeCogsEqn.gif (892 Bytes) Viewed 5344 times
I have the following file ChargeDensity.f90:

FUNCTION ChargeDensity( model, n, args) RESULT( f )
  USE DefUtils

IMPLICIT NONE
  TYPE(Model_t) :: model
  INTEGER :: n
  REAL(KIND=dp) :: args(3), f

REAL(KIND=dp) :: x,y,z,r
  REAL(KIND=dp), PARAMETER :: R0=0.01

x = args(1)
  y = args(2)
  z = args(3) 
  r = SQRT( x**2 + y**2 + z**2)

IF(r<R0) THEN
    f = 1
  ELSE
    f = 0
  END IF    
END FUNCTION ChargeDensity
and I compile it using:

elmerf90 -o ChargeDensityLib.so ChargeDensity.f90
This results in the following compilation error (ElmerIceSolvers.so and ElmerIceUDF.so not found):

dvarx@dvarx-ThinkPad-T550:~/Desktop/fem_simulations/electrostatic_example$ elmerf90 -o ChargeDensityLib.so ChargeDensity.f90
with elmerice
/usr/bin/f95 -o ChargeDensityLib.so ChargeDensity.f90 -DCONTIG=,CONTIGUOUS -DHAVE_EXECUTECOMMANDLINE -DUSE_ISO_C_BINDINGS -DUSE_ARPACK -O2 -g -DNDEBUG -fPIC -shared -I/home/dvarx/elmer/install//share/elmersolver/include -L/home/dvarx/elmer/install//lib/elmersolver /home/dvarx/elmer/install//lib/elmersolver/../../share/elmersolver/lib/ElmerIceSolvers.so /home/dvarx/elmer/install//lib/elmersolver/../../share/elmersolver/lib/ElmerIceUSF.so -shared -lelmersolver 
f95: error: /home/dvarx/elmer/install//lib/elmersolver/../../share/elmersolver/lib/ElmerIceSolvers.so: No such file or directory
f95: error: /home/dvarx/elmer/install//lib/elmersolver/../../share/elmersolver/lib/ElmerIceUSF.so: No such file or directory
Do I need to change anything else (I built elmer using https://www.github.com/ElmerCSC/elmerfem)?
mzenker

Post by mzenker »

Hi,

I cannot help with the compilation error, but I would like to add for the records that there is a chapter "basic programming" in the Solver manual, and there is also a Programmer's tutorial.

Matthias
dvarx

Post by dvarx »

mzenker wrote: 04 Jan 2019, 11:08 Hi,

I cannot help with the compilation error, but I would like to add for the records that there is a chapter "basic programming" in the Solver manual, and there is also a Programmer's tutorial.

Matthias
Ok, I got it to work no by removing the ElmerICE libraries from the compile command.

Thanks!