Old Elmer project can not be opened

The graphical user interface of Elmer
lastart

Old Elmer project can not be opened

Post by lastart »

Hello, everyone.
I have a Elmergui project created on Linux. Today I would like to open it on a Windows version of Elmergui, but I cannot open it correctly. It loads the 3d model, but don't load any configuration. It shows something like file type unknown on statue bar.

Do you have any idea to fix the problem?
mzenker

Re: Old Elmer project can not be opened

Post by mzenker »

Hi,

reloading old ElmerGUI projects is always delicate. One important thing is that you have the same solvers loaded (in edf directory) as before. Also I don't know how ElmerGUI handles the LF/CR difference in text files between Windows and Linux.
The easiest way is to open the old sif file and recreate the settings in the GUI. Then you can happily save and reload your project (as long as the loaded solvers don't change).

HTH,

Matthias
lastart

Post by lastart »

Ok, thank you for your suggestion.
kanito
Antispam: Yes

Post by kanito »

Hi every one,
I also have the same problem.
For me, my colleague had created project file in Windows from my old PC.
But when I load the same project in my new PC with the same operating system, all the previous configuration setting is not shown in the ELMERGUI toolbar.
Sine I have several project files to edit, so it is not convenient to edit in the .sif files

Could you please advise me to solve this problem?

Thank you
mzenker

Post by mzenker »

Hi,

I am not sure to understand what your problem is. Normally the ElmerGUI toolbar is not changed by the settings of a particular project. Those settings are in the Models menu. Could you describe which settings are there, and which ones aren't?
If really all settings are gone, then I don't know why.
If it's just the solver settings, then it may be due to different solvers being loaded from the $ELMER_HOME\share\ElmerGUI\edf directory.
It might be necessary to open your old sif file with a text editor and enter the settings manually into ElmerGUI.

HTH,

Matthias
kanito

Post by kanito »

Thank you very much for your reply, and sorry for my late response.
All the setting in Elmers is still the same, it was saved in the .sif file.
However, all the setting does not show in the setting tool bar (see the attached figures) as it should appear if we load the project.
Is there any solution for this problem?
It is not convenient to get the previous setting in .sif files, and enter the settings manually into ElmerGUI, since I have many project files to edit.
Thank you,
Attachments
S__3178653.jpg
(282.63 KiB) Not downloaded yet
S__3178652.jpg
(242.88 KiB) Not downloaded yet
mzenker

Post by mzenker »

Hi,

did you check the other settings, such as solvers, materials etc.?
If it is just the boundary conditions, it may be due to changed boundary numbers. Do you use the exact same mesh file?
Sorry if this is a stupid question: Do you try to read the sif file with ElmerGUI? This is not intended to work, you need the egproject.xml where the GUI settings are stored. The sif file is written by the GUI and read by the solver.

HTH,

Matthias
kanito

Post by kanito »

Hello, Matthias
Thank you for your reply.
All the setting of solvers, materials, boundary conditions and equations is disappear in the setting tool bar of ElmerGUI.
I loaded the project without any change and use the exact same mesh.
Today, I tried to save the new project from another computer, and load it in another computer. In this time, the condition settings are still exist in the setting tool bar.

Does the version of Elmer possibly cause this problem? (the previous project that I get from my friend was created 2-3 year ago by the old Elmer version, but I use the newest version of Elmer to open it)

For your question, since I cannot change the setting in the setting tool bar, so I just change the setting in .sif (edit it in ElmerGUI-->Sif-->edit)
I am not sure about this whether I do it correctly or not.
(Sorry, I am very new about this program.
Now, I am trying to learn from my friend's previous work, unfortunately I got the trouble with the mentioned problem.
So I m trying to figure out this problem)

Thank you very much
KaniTo
mzenker

Post by mzenker »

Hi,

I am not sure to understand what you did to arrive at this problem.
Could you post a directory listing from your friend's project directory showing which files it contains?
Which menu entry do you use to load the project?
I have still the impression that you try to read a .sif file...

Matthias
raback
Site Admin

Post by raback »

Hi

There indeed is a problem with ElmerGUI regarding the version. Sorry for that. This means that you may have problems opening an old project.

There should not be any problems in running old cases per se using ElmerSolver. So when you go to the case directory and just launch "ElmerSolver" your case should run as 3 years ago. There are ~500 consistency tests that try to ensure this.

-Peter