Boundary Condition with Varying Temperature

The graphical user interface of Elmer
MrChips
Antispam: Yes

Boundary Condition with Varying Temperature

Post by MrChips »

I have completed a few runs in a simulation I am doing where a boundary condition along a pipe has a uniform temperature. Now I would like the temperature along that edge to vary with its position along the x-axis. For instance, one end of the boundary edge would be at 100 C, the other end would be at 20 C, and the temperature in between would depend on the length of the edge. I am sure this is something I would have to write into the sif file manually, I'm just not sure how to do it, or if it is even possible to do what I want. Any guidance would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Clayton
mzenker

Re: Boundary Condition with Varying Temperature

Post by mzenker »

Hi,

you can do that with the GUI. The edit field expands to a multi-line box if you hit enter. Then just put something like

Code: Select all

Variable Coordinate 1
Real
0 20
10 100
End
into the box, and it should work. For variable quantities see also Solver Manual (Paragraph "Defining parameters depending on field variables" in Section 2.3).

HTH,

Matthias
MrChips
Antispam: Yes

Re: Boundary Condition with Varying Temperature

Post by MrChips »

Wonderful. I will give this a try. Thank you for the response and thank you for pointing me to the spot in the manual. I'm still learning my way around.