separate physical bodies defined as a single body

The graphical user interface of Elmer
bptsj
Antispam: Yes

separate physical bodies defined as a single body

Post by bptsj »

I built a CAD model with 18 separate bodies but for ease of generating the FEM model I defined 3 separate physical bodies as, call it body_1. Now in Elmer I want to set a body force of 1W thermal in each of the 3 physical bodies. Can I do this? Do I need to enter 3W as the body force for body_1?

Along the same lines, I have other physical bodies that share the same shape and material properties that are replicated 3 times each and I defined each of them as a single body. Is there any problem in doing this? I was trying to avoid defining 18 bodies in Salome.

Thanks,
Brian
mzenker

Re: separate physical bodies defined as a single body

Post by mzenker »

Hi,

it is not clear to me what you did.
You have 18 bodies. Then you somehow made 3 bodies out of the 18, and call them all body_1 in Salomé?

Anyway, the names you give in Salomé will not propagate to Elmer. Elmer assigns a number to every body (and also to every boundary). If you group several of them together in Salomé, they normally should be treated as a single body/boundary in Elmer.

HTH,

Matthias
bptsj
Antispam: Yes

Re: separate physical bodies defined as a single body

Post by bptsj »

I think I found a solution to my problem. What I had done was to create a CAD drawing that had the same feature repeated several times in different locations. Rather than generate separate CAD files and import them individually I had instead imported the one file with multiple bodies. In Salome they were treated as a single body. I did figure out how to separate these into groups in Salome.

Brian