ElmerGUI 8: Frequent freezes under Windows

The graphical user interface of Elmer
mzenker

ElmerGUI 8: Frequent freezes under Windows

Post by mzenker »

Hi,

since Elmer Release 8, I observe much more ElmerGUI crashes. The GUI freezes without apparent reason, for example if I open a Material, BC or Equation window. I have to kill it. The log says

Code: Select all

Exit code: -805306369
It's not systematic, it just happens from time to time, often enough to be annoying. Does anyone out there observe the same behaviour?
I work under Windows 7 64-bit and use the precompiled binaries (8.2 at the moment). The GUI was much more stable before Release 8.

Any idea?

Matthias
serge_13
Antispam: Yes

Re: ElmerGUI 8: Frequent freezes under Windows

Post by serge_13 »

Dear mzenker !

Set SP1 for Windows 7 if it is not installed on your PC.
Try to update driver(s) for Graphical Adaptor for the Windows 7.

Best regards,
Serge.
mzenker

Post by mzenker »

Hi Serge,

I have Service Pack 1 installed. Before I fiddle around with graphics drivers - how can I know that this is the reason for ElmerGUI freeze/crash? I think that the problem ismore probably on ElmerGUI side since I don't experience this kind of problem with any other software I use.

Is there anybody out there who uses ElmerGUI (release 8) with Windoze 7 and can report on its stability?

Matthias
mzenker

Post by mzenker »

Hmmm, no reply so far.

Possible conclusions:

1. Nobody except me uses ElmerGUI 8 under Windows 7.
2. Conclusion 1 is wrong, but nobody except me sees ElmerGUI 8 freeze/crash under Windows 7, and nobody wants to take the time to report that.
3. Conclusions 1 and 2 are wrong, but no ElmerGUI user who sees those freezes/crashes wants to take the time to report that.

I don't really think that 1. is right.
If 2. is right, there is something wrong with my installation, and I would be most interested to find that out. So could somebody report on the GUI stability?
If 3. is right, I either missed the user reports on GUI crashes, or I really don't understand why nobody complains about them...

So what is the Elmer community saying? Who can confirm or invalid one of the above conclusions? ;)

Matthias
RaJa

Post by RaJa »

Hi Matthias,

I have the latest release of the ElmerGui (8.2) installed, running a Win 7 64bit System. Up to now, I have observed only 1 crash due to the freezing GUI. That is 1 more than I have seen with the release I have used before. SP1 is also installed. So, in principle your statement from the first post is correct. However, statistics are not yet trustworthy.

So:
Conclusion 1: definitely wrong
Conclusion 2: wrong again, as I have seen at least 1
Conclusion 3: maybe true

My conclusion:
You just use the ElmerGui a bit more than the average user and with that you see more crashes that you deem to occur more frequent.

Regards,
Rainer
mzenker

Post by mzenker »

Hi Rainer,

thanks for replying!
So I am not the only one to see the GUI freeze under Windows 7.
It happens rather often at times - e.g. when I set up a simulation, run it and want to modify, say, a material, I often get a freeze.
The problem is that I didn't find a recipe yet to reproduce the freeze reliably.

Question to Elmer team:
1. Is there a chance that somebody looks into that one of these days?
2. Can I produce any kind of debug log for you to see where the problem is? I have posted the message in the GUIlogger in my first post. Is there anything else that can be done?

Matthias
RaJa

Post by RaJa »

Is there a dedicated log-file that contains information about chrashs? I have a simulation, where the complete system freezes when the mesh gets to fine (mesh level = 4). I have to hard reset the system by disconnecting the power supply.
mzenker

Post by mzenker »

Hi,

which OS? Do you have more than one core in your CPU? Do you use the GUI? Does it freeze immediately or after a long simulation run with lots of output?

Matthias
mark smith

Post by mark smith »

Hi Matthias,
This might be unrelated but I am having problems with elmer 8.2 under windows 7 when I run elmersolver_mpi from the command line (I don't use elmergui).
When you see this problem is it when you run a parallel solve with a partitioned mesh as this would invoke elmersolver_mpi? If it is could you try to run a problem from the command line in the directory where your sif file resides with the instruction

mpiexec -n N elmersolver_mpi (Where N is the number of processors/mesh partitions you have chosen)

I get the following error (see attached)

If I run a serial solve by typing "elmersolver" from the command line in the directory where the sif resides then I don't get any errors.

Best regards
Mark
Attachments
elmersolver_mpi error screen shot
elmersolver_mpi error screen shot
elmersolver_mpi error.PNG (13.09 KiB) Viewed 7564 times
mzenker

Post by mzenker »

Hmmm...
So this is in fact a problem of the mpi version of Elmersolver.
I cannot help here, sorry. I would suggest that you open a new thread where the title says what it contains....

Matthias