Mesh is not displayed

The graphical user interface of Elmer
msYanni
Antispam: Yes

Mesh is not displayed

Post by msYanni »

Hello everyone.

First thing: I am a newbie to elmer.

I recently installed Elmer on my mac machine. I am trying to rerun a case that I successfully ran on an elmer installed on a Windows before. I am using the same Mesh.inp file and for some reason, ElmerGui doesn't show the mesh after loading it. I have tried it several times, and only once when I clicked on the remesh button, the mesh was showed up.

The following text is shown on the terminal after loading the mesh over the gui. Does anyone have any idea?

Code: Select all

ElmerGrid loading data from file: /Users/masoud/Desktop/Elmer_Rock_2/subsample1/Mesh.inp
Reading input from ABAQUS input file /Users/masoud/Desktop/Elmer_Rock_2/subsample1/Mesh.inp.
unknown command: *PREPRINT,MODEL=NO,HISTORY=NO,ECHO=NO
Loading elements of type 504 starting from element 0.
Loading elements of type 303 starting from element 730875.
Allocating for 298883 knots and 1270342 4-node elements.
There are 0 boundary nodes, thus allocating 0 elements
Loading elements of type 504 starting from element 0.
Loading elements of type 303 starting from element 730875.
The mesh was loaded from file /Users/masoud/Desktop/Elmer_Rock_2/subsample1/Mesh.inp.
Boundary types are in interval [1610612736, 1610612736]
Boundary nodes are in interval [1610612736, 1610612736]
Found 0 side elements formed by 0 points.

ElmerGrid manipulating and importing data
Setting elements of 3dim
Done converting mesh
Found 523262 interface faces of 1723381
Boundaries were numbered up to index 1
Found 783587 edges on boundary
Bcs/materials on surface elements: 1
Bcs/materials on edge elements: 0
Bcs/materials on point elements: 0
Generating  lists to display
Generated 4 lists
Apply 0 operations
Best
Masoud
mzenker

Re: Mesh is not displayed

Post by mzenker »

Hi,

three things you could try:

1. Make sure that at least View -> Surface Mesh, maybe also View -> Volume Mesh is checked in ElmerGUI
2. Try to open the Elmer Mesh files from your old Windoze project on the Mac (using File -> Load Mesh).
3. Convert the inp file with ElmerGrid on the command line and see if the resulting Elmer Mesh files can be viewed in ElmerGUI.

If 2. and 3. work, it's a problem of mesh import in ElmerGUI. In that case, 3. could be a workaround.

HTH,

Matthias
msYanni
Antispam: Yes

Post by msYanni »

mzenker wrote:Hi,

three things you could try:

1. Make sure that at least View -> Surface Mesh, maybe also View -> Volume Mesh is checked in ElmerGUI
2. Try to open the Elmer Mesh files from your old Windoze project on the Mac (using File -> Load Mesh).
3. Convert the inp file with ElmerGrid on the command line and see if the resulting Elmer Mesh files can be viewed in ElmerGUI.

If 2. and 3. work, it's a problem of mesh import in ElmerGUI. In that case, 3. could be a workaround.

HTH,

Matthias
Thank you very much Matthias.

For some reason, it sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. But it's not a problem any more.

Now, I've got a different problem. I'm trying to run some electrical flow simulations. For now, I'm trying to reproduce a case that I've already successfully done in Windows. But for some reason, the ElmerSolver doesn't work. It doesn't crash or anything. It just ends after it starts solving for the mesh and gives me nothing but a Zero potential field. The version I tried on Windows was 7, but on my Mac I have V. 8.1. Do you think it might be because of that? Do you know how I can download an old version on mac using github?

Thanks
Masoud
mzenker

Post by mzenker »

Hi,

I don't know anything about Elmer on Mac.
I would
1. do a diff between the sif files on Windows and Mac
2. look carefully at the solver output for errors or warnings (does it find the mesh? all libraries, keywords, ...)
3. make sure that really that case worked in Windoze, with everything exactly as it is on your Mac
4. if that doesn't give an indication, revert to Elmer 7, but I don't know how to do that for Mac...

HTH,

Matthias