Multiple part step file

The graphical user interface of Elmer
mattb.351
Antispam: Yes

Multiple part step file

Post by mattb.351 »

Hi Guys, I've just started looking at Elmer to see if it will suit what I want to do, and I have a question about multiple part analysis. I imported a one part step file and it meshed and I was able to do a heat analysis all OK. I then tried a multiple part step file created in Solidworks as an assembly and saved as a step file and tried to import it and it crashes the mesher.

I then joined the parts in Solidworks and saved a new step file (one solid part) and that imported ok that but couldn't really find out how to split them into multiple bodies in Elmer. I know the response will probably be RTFM, but at this stage I'm looking at a few packages to see what will suit me best so I don't have a lot of time.
raback
Site Admin
Antispam: Yes

Re: Multiple part step file

Post by raback »

Hi

For multiple parts you should do the meshing outside Elmer. Elmer includes just rudimentary functionality for dealing with CAD files and even this is obtained by the external libraries. For example, SALOME & unv format is known to work.

-Peter
mzenker

Re: Multiple part step file

Post by mzenker »

Hi,

if you want to have your STEP file meshed in Salomé to test Elmer afterwards, have a look at this wiki page: http://www.elmerfem.org/elmerwiki/index ... e_to_Elmer.

HTH,

Matthias