lost input when loading project

The graphical user interface of Elmer
bptsj
Antispam: Yes

lost input when loading project

Post by bptsj »

Sorry for the trivial problem but I am having trouble sporadically losing by project inputs in Elmer GUI. I load a mesh and setup my model then generate and save a sif file. I then also save to a project. When I exit Elmer and come back later I load the project to get started. When I do this sometimes my model materials are present and other times all materials are gone. This is very frustrating... Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks,
Brian
mzenker

Re: lost input when loading project

Post by mzenker »

Hi Brian,

I have never seen this behaviour before. If you load a new mesh into an existing project, ElmerGUI removes the boundary condition assignments. But If your project has been saved before, it should load correctly in to ElmerGUI. Note that you don't have to reload the mesh when loading a project. A quirk of ElmerGUI is also that you should never load more than one project per session. Even reloading the same project within the same session can lead to unpredictable results, e.g. in the solver menu. So make sure that you restart ElmerGUI every time before loading a project.

HTH,

Matthias
Captain Slow

Post by Captain Slow »

If you modify the sif file via the text editor, when you reload at a later date the GUI will automatically re-generate the sif file from the contents of the GUI's menus. Is that what you're talking about? I've fould that quite annoying in the past but just load the sif seperately these days.
bptsj
Antispam: Yes

Post by bptsj »

The loss occurs when I re-load the project without re-starting the GUI.
1. Edit project in GUI
2. create & save *.sif
3. save project
4. reload project ..... oops!!

I've started using the command line solver and just use the GUI to load the mesh to identify boundaries & nodes.

Thanks,
Brian
mzenker

Post by mzenker »

Hi,

I consider this as a bug in ElmerGUI. The workaround is simple (but not satisfying): don't do it!
You don't have to reload the project after saving it. Before loading a new project, just close and restart ElmerGUI .
Since the free text fields have been implemented, there is much less need for editing the sif file by hand.

HTH,

Matthias