heat energy applied to a rectangular area

The graphical user interface of Elmer
Robpearce
Antispam: Yes

heat energy applied to a rectangular area

Post by Robpearce »

This should be a trial question, I am sure I am just missing something.

I need to simulate a rectangular heater attached to a surface. I would think it would be as easy as segmenting a rectangular portion of the surface and adding a boundary condition for power in. Before going to Elmer I use Solidworks to create the geometry. The model is transferred using a STEP file from Solidworks to Salome for meshing. The meshed model goes to ELmer from Salome. Using a split line I can make Solidworks cut a rectangular portion on the surface and Salome will recognize it and adjust the mesh in the rectangle area. I cannot make Elmer recognize the area and apply a boundary condition there. What am I missing?

Thank you,
Robert
mzenker

Re: heat energy applied to a rectangular area

Post by mzenker »

Hi,

did you define the rectangle as groop in the Salome mesh? Only then it is exported as entity within the mesh and Elmer can recognize it.

HTH,

Matthias
Robpearce
Antispam: Yes

Post by Robpearce »

Hi Matthias,

Thank you for the reply. I know I am missing something simple here. I am able to make a group in Salome and Salome does recognize the group during meshing. However I cannot make Elmer separate that part of the face from the rest of the face. Elmer's "divide surface" feature divides only the surfaces joined by corners. Any thoughts?

Thank you,
Robert
mzenker

Post by mzenker »

Hi,

you have to make groups in the mesh, i.e. when the mesh module is activated. One way to do that is right-click on the mesh (e.g. Mesh_1 if you didn't rename it) in the tree, then "Create groups from geometry" and select the geometrical groups you want to have in the mesh.

HTH,

Matthias