Damping problem

Numerical methods and mathematical models of Elmer
Sayan
Antispam: Yes

Re: Damping problem

Post by Sayan »

Okk.Mine one I checked showing compiled on 28-03-2021..For every case I open my elmergui..import .msh file and copy and pase the sif file coding and run it..But when I use elasticsolver damping is not considering but same file when using stresssolver it's considering damping..which is very peculiar..
raback
Site Admin

Post by raback »

Hi

ELMERSOLVER_STARTINFO points to the sif file that is being run. Or you can overrun with that when giving command line argument. ElmerGUI does not change this.

Check this line in output (about line 20):

Code: Select all

MAIN: Reading Model: flux.sif
Generally if you have the sif file there is little point in starting the GUI as the main purpose of GUI is to create the file.

-Peter
Sayan

Post by Sayan »

Hiii Peter,
It's actually showing case.sif in that reading model though I want to run caseydamp.sif file..I just checked..Is it the cause, what should I do?
raback
Site Admin

Post by raback »

Well run "ElmerSolver caseydamp.sif" on powershell. -Peter
kevinarden

Post by kevinarden »

Peter is referring to running from a command line which gives the user much more control such as
ElmerSolver caseydamp.sif
will run caseydamp.sif
However if you are runming form the GUI and loading a project from the GUI it just executes
ElmerSolver
Which will run whatever file is in the ELMERSOLVER_STARTINFO file, which by default if you always use the GUI is the file case.sif in the project folder.
If you start the gui load a project, edit the sif file, copy the contents of another sif into that file then hit save and run button, it will replace the contents of the case.sif file before running. However you still need to know that it is pointing to the correct mesh files and result files. See atttached.
guirun.png
(241.64 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Sayan

Post by Sayan »

Hiii,
Thanks Kevin for nice explanation..I am doing exactly same which you have shown in picture..saving sif file with caseydamp.sif..and then executing it..
Sayan

Post by Sayan »

Hiii,
Today I have executed both file from cmd directly..even mentioned every path from mesh to result...But same thing happened..
kevinarden

Post by kevinarden »

You are correct, I have been testing in Linux. Today I went to W10, installed a fresh/latest version of Elmer. There is no difference in the result of damped or undamped in ElasticSolver for the W10 version.
Sayan

Post by Sayan »

Today I tried in VM....I have got same result as undamped one..
kevinarden

Post by kevinarden »

I started with a new folder in Ubuntu, with just the sif and the msh file. I get a difference in the damped and undamped response. If you are using the ElmerVM I am not sure if that is the latest updated of Elmer. On the latest W10 install I get an undamped response with or without the damping including in the material.

The only difference I can find in the log files is that on W10 I get this message

MAIN: Reading Model: caseydamp.sif

Caught LUA error:[string "loadfile("C:/Program Files (x86)/Elmer/shar..."]:1: attempt to call a nil value

Caught LUA error:[string "loadstring(readsif("caseydamp.sif"))()"]:1: attempt to call global 'readsif' (a nil value)