Electromagnetics 3D boundary conditions

Numerical methods and mathematical models of Elmer
guillem_arque
Antispam: Yes

Electromagnetics 3D boundary conditions

Post by guillem_arque »

Hello,
I am a student currently working on my final project and I am having some issues with trying to do some testing through Elmer.
The idea is to have a charged conductors and other conductors without electric current and see the effects.
Firstly I am trying to do a simple test with just a single conductor with electric current. The problem is that I don't know how to specify that the conductor has electric current.
I have tried with MgDyn setting as Electric Current Density: 50 +I*50 (for example) but it doesn't let me put complex numbers.
Also I don't know where I should specify that the frequency that the conductor is working at is 60Hz.
Moreover, the surroundings of the conductor is Air and I would like to specify as BC that it has no charge at all.
I insert an image of the situation so you can see the simple test that I am doing.

Thank you in anticipate and sorry for the inconveniences,

Guillem
Attachments
test.PNG
(99.96 KiB) Not downloaded yet
kevinarden

Re: Electromagnetics 3D boundary conditions

Post by kevinarden »

You may want to work through the electrical tutorials in the tutorial manual such as #11
https://www.nic.funet.fi/pub/sci/physic ... orials.pdf
guillem_arque

Post by guillem_arque »

Hi,
Thank you for your answer.
I have been through the tutorials and the boundaries applied there are by introducing potential, but I would like to introduce intensity in complex numbers.
I have seen that in Body Force it is possible to give a current density which would work fine I guess. the thing is that in MgDyn it doesn't allow me to put imaginary component to the current density and also in the Electrostatic Body Force.
I suppose it is because it is an static calculation and the input needs to be a specific number.
Could I do my example with MgHarm instead? What is the difference?

Thank you

Guillem
raback
Site Admin

Post by raback »

Hi Guillem

Try ElmerModelsManual Ch. 18. In particular page 118 section "Keywords for WhitneyAVHarmonicSolver". You will see that Elmer does not recognize "i" as being \sqrt(-1). Instead you need to have another keyword for imaginary component. Look for test case "mgdyn_harmonic_wire", for example.

-Peter