Elmer Tutorial 7: harmonic wire current

Numerical methods and mathematical models of Elmer
mgrappy
Antispam: Yes

Elmer Tutorial 7: harmonic wire current

Post by mgrappy »

Hello,

I've been trying to learn how to do a 3D magnetic model in Elmer, so I've been working on tutorial 7. I was able to get the model to run without any problems, and I got a result in Paraview that looks like Figure 7.2. However, I'm running into a problem with the actual numbers that are output in the .vtu file that Paraview uses.

The tutorial says, "The resulting absolute values of the imaginary and real part of the magnetic flux density are depicted in Figure 7.2. The imaginary part dominates in the amplitude the (0.524 T vs. 0.107 T). The corresponding vector field of the magnetic flux density is depicted in Figure 7.3.
Why are the results so far of from the steady state solution? If you run the case again with 100 Hz you can see that the solution is very close to the static one. The maximum magnetic flux density from the computations is 0.0367 T which is very close to the analytical solution of 0.0374 T. So the frequency really has an significant effect on the results!". I generated 2 separate .sif files (attached), one for 10 kHz default in the tutorial and then one for the 100 Hz that this paragraph suggests.

However, when I try to view them in Paraview (attached), the outputs look identical; I tried to adjust the color scale, but it didn't change. This paragraph would seem to suggest they should at least have different magnitudes.

Any help would be much appreciated!
Attachments
Paraview.png
(89.01 KiB) Not downloaded yet
lowF.sif
100Hz example
(4.08 KiB) Downloaded 195 times
highF.sif
10 kHz example
(4.08 KiB) Downloaded 174 times