Vortex Shedding - Cylinder position change

Numerical methods and mathematical models of Elmer
asandip
Antispam: Yes

Vortex Shedding - Cylinder position change

Post by asandip »

Hello,

I am looking to change the position of the cylinder in the channel/Vortex Shedding Elmer Tutorial. I modified the circle_in_channel.in2d file (attached). And here's the problem I run into -

1. When I open the circle_in_channel.in2d file, I can see the change in position
2. When I load project --Vortex shedding (that has the circle_in_channel.in2d file) -- I do not see the change in position

I am not sure why I cannot see the change in position, when I load the project with the modified circle_in_channel.in2d file. How should I proceed? Thank you for any suggestions you can provide.

Ilaj
Attachments
circle_in_channel.in2d
(394 Bytes) Downloaded 193 times
kevinarden

Re: Vortex Shedding - Cylinder position change

Post by kevinarden »

Are you starting in a new folder without any previous files? Load Project tends to over write things.
asandip

Post by asandip »

I modified the circle_in_channel.in2d file and saved it in the same folder(Vortex Shedding) and then selected the "Load project" option. The position of the cylinder has not changed.

Is there a file in the Vortex Shedding folder that is suppressing this change?
kevinarden

Post by kevinarden »

the old xml and old mesh files will load with "load project" if you are using the same folder. The new geometry file will only take effect if you open that geometry file, remesh, and save project. Save project will update the mesh files. I recommend starting with the new geometry in a clean folder, or deleting all of the mesh files.
asandip

Post by asandip »

That worked! I am trying to execute the same steps (listed below) through a shell script but have had no success so far.

Steps to modify the position of the cylinder in a channel
1. Revise the geometry file -- circle_in_channel.in2d
2. Open the revised the geometry in Elmer Gui
3. Save project in a new folder
4. Transfer the sif file from the Vortex Shedding tutorial to the folder created in step 4
5. Run the solver

I am able to execute steps 1, 4 and 5 using the shell script, but I am unable to execute the steps 2 and 3. Thank you for any suggestions you can provide.
kevinarden

Post by kevinarden »

I would put the revised circle_in_channel.in2d in a new folder then open it in ElmerGUI and start the tutorial from there. You could copy the sif from the old folder to the new folder.

You could just do the tutorial in a new folder, but use your circle_in_channel.in2d instead of the one provided.
asandip

Post by asandip »

Thank you!

Here's what I have attempted in shell -

1. #Create a new folder in Elmer workpsace
cd path/to/Elmer/Workspace
mkdir VortextShedding_Position

2. #Transfer the revised geometry file from the tutorial folder to the folder created in step 1
cp path/to/Elmer/Tutorial/VortexShedding/circle_in_channel_revised.in2d path/to/Elmer/Tutorial/VortexShedding_Position/circle_in_channel_revised.in2d

3. How do I save the project using shell in this new folder - VortextShedding_Position?

4. #Transfer the sif file from the tutorial folder to the folder created in step 1
cp path/to/Elmer/Tutorial/VortexShedding/case.sif path/to/Elmer/Tutorial/VortexShedding_Position/case.sif

5. ElmerSolver case.sif

I am unable to get results as I do not know how to execute step 3 in shell -- what the command would be. How do I execute step 3 in shell?

Thank you for any information you can provide.
kevinarden

Post by kevinarden »

In number 3 you can open the file in ElmerGUI and mesh like in the tutorial, since you are in a new folder it will create a new project.