Linera elasticity stability analysis

Numerical methods and mathematical models of Elmer
Sax72
Antispam: Yes

Linera elasticity stability analysis

Post by Sax72 »

I am trying to perform a stability analysis in order to prevent any "buckling" risk in the anti-vibration mass that we are designing. It consists of a large concrete block (2.4x2.4x1 m^3) laid on a 5-10 cm polymeric elastic medium with a low elastic constant. However, we do not want to get closer to the buckling condition when we move our weights on the antivibration platform.

I have simulated pretty well with elmer our eigenmodes and their frequency to design the absorber layer, nevertheless, I am not able to interpret the results when I introduce the stability analysis in the Eigen solutions. I have understood that for the stability analysis I have to prestress the system and therefore I have introduced a load on one specific node with the syntax below in the .sif input file

Boundary Condition 2
Target Nodes(1) = Integer 755 (node number)
Displacement 3 Load = Real -5000.0 (a load of about 500 kg - this I have taken from a reply in the forum )
End

I would expect a critical value for the applied load and a set of possible modes. I get some results but I have few ideas on how to interpret the output eigen modes and the .vtu output file that I get.

Are you aware of an example available on stability analysis with Elmer?
Is there a definitive manual to learn some secrets of Elmer?

Thank You for any help

Carlo.
kevinarden

Re: Linera elasticity stability analysis

Post by kevinarden »

You did not state which solver you are using.

http://www.nic.funet.fi/pub/sci/physics/elmer/doc/

is the documentation

6.2.2 Modal, harmonic and stability analysis, chapter 6
kevinarden

Re: Linera elasticity stability analysis

Post by kevinarden »

In the github for the source code there are many test cases which can be used as a tutorial.

https://github.com/ElmerCSC/elmerfem/tr ... s/buckling

This one is stability analysis