ElmerSolver input file

Numerical methods and mathematical models of Elmer
ajay0705
Antispam: Yes

ElmerSolver input file

Post by ajay0705 »

Hi,

I am trying to use multiple solvers in my .sif file. I intend to use the CoilSolver to calculate Coil Current and then use the calculated Coil Current in the MGDynamicsCalc solver to calculate Magnetic energy for a specific coil.
How do I make the two solvers interact such that the output obtained from the CoilSolver is used as input for the MGDynamicsCalc solver?

Also, If I'm doing a Transient simulation, is there a way to get an output in text format or .vtu for a desired timestep?

Thank You.

Regards,
Ajay
mzenker

Re: ElmerSolver input file

Post by mzenker »

Hi,

there is some information on the CoilSolver and the magnetodynamics solver in the ModelsManual. That might answer your first question.
If you want vtu output, just set the extension of the "Post File" to .vtu. One file will be written for each timestep in a transient simulation.

HTH,
Matthias
annier

Post by annier »

ajay0705 wrote: 03 Apr 2019, 00:31 How do I make the two solvers interact such that the output obtained from the CoilSolver is used as input for the MGDynamicsCalc solver?
Ajay,
Are you talking of hierarchical coupling from CoilSolver to MGDynamicsCalc solver?
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4351&hilit=hierarchical+coupling

Yours Sincerely,
Anil Kunwar
Anil Kunwar
Faculty of Mechanical Engineering, Silesian University of Technology, Gliwice
ajay0705

Post by ajay0705 »

mzenker wrote: 03 Apr 2019, 10:30 Hi,

there is some information on the CoilSolver and the magnetodynamics solver in the ModelsManual. That might answer your first question.
If you want vtu output, just set the extension of the "Post File" to .vtu. One file will be written for each timestep in a transient simulation.

HTH,
Matthias
Hi,

Thank you for your response. Guess I understood the part wherein i set the "Post File" as .vtu but under which section of the input file must it be put? Can it be put under an intermediate solver so that I get the required .vtu file for every timestep after going through that particular solver?

I have attached my .sif file to this message.

Thank you.
Attachments
test.sif
(3.61 KiB) Downloaded 266 times
mzenker

Post by mzenker »

Hi,

under "Simulation", write

Post File = test.vtu

Do you write your sif file by hand from scratch?
If you are new to Elmer, I would suggest that you use ElmerGUI at least as starting point for the first simulations, unless you have very special requirements which are not covered by ElmerGUI.

HTH,
Matthias
ajay0705

Post by ajay0705 »

mzenker wrote: 05 Apr 2019, 10:27 Hi,

under "Simulation", write

Post File = test.vtu

Do you write your sif file by hand from scratch?
If you are new to Elmer, I would suggest that you use ElmerGUI at least as starting point for the first simulations, unless you have very special requirements which are not covered by ElmerGUI.
Hi,

Thanks a lot Matthias. Got the test.vtu file generated for each timestep.
And yes, I write my sif file by hand as I require specific sections to be defined for my testcases. I've been using elmer for almost 6 months now. Thank you for the advise.

Thank you.