Modeling Two-Component Reaction/Diffusion on Surface

Numerical methods and mathematical models of Elmer
asportking
Antispam: Yes

Modeling Two-Component Reaction/Diffusion on Surface

Post by asportking »

Hi everyone,

Sorry for the potentially trivial question, I'm trying to solve a problem that I couldn't do in COMSOL (implementing periodic boundary conditions on a surface/boundary PDE - it doesn't seem like it should be any more difficult computationally than normal periodic BC, but I guess they just don't offer the option), and I only recently found this program.

I'm trying to solve a two component reaction/diffusion equation, where the reaction term is a function of the values of the two variables at the point. From what I understand from reading, this constitutes having two geometries, one for each component, and then solving a ModelPDE on each, with the reaction term in each equation a function of both of the variables. I found this post viewforum.php?f=3 about using variables as coefficients in equations, but I'm unsure how this generalizes to the ModelPDE equation. I'm also unsure on how to define a coefficient as a function of the two variables, as opposed to just the value of one of the variables (I suspect that problem is more easily resolved though, I'm reading more about it and think I might have figured it out). Thanks!
raback
Site Admin
Antispam: Yes

Re: Modeling Two-Component Reaction/Diffusion on Surface

Post by raback »

Hi

You would need one geometry but two different solvers with different Variables. The reaction term would easily be explicitely the function of the two. If you need implicit reaction term then that would basically require a multicomponent solver.

So would your problem be 3D, your PDE lives on a 2D surface, and you need to have periodic conditions on the 1D interfaces of the 2D surface? Are you solving anything in the 3D mesh?

-Peter