Restart file (i.e. Output File) pruning?

Numerical methods and mathematical models of Elmer
dwneumann
Antispam: Yes

Restart file (i.e. Output File) pruning?

Post by dwneumann »

By default I believe a restart file (the "Output File=" keyword) saves values for each iteration of a simulation and file growth is unbounded.
Is it possible to save a restart file less frequently than every iteration in order to limit the growth of the file during a lengthy simulation? If so what is the syntax?
Alternatively, is it safe to manually "prune" an Output File that is actively being appended to during a simulation (for example via "sed '1,10000 d") so that only the most recent n iterations are present in the file?

Thanks...
Dean
kishpishar

Re: Restart file (i.e. Output File) pruning?

Post by kishpishar »

Hello,

Have you found a solution to this issue? Is it possible to save restart files less frequently than what is controlled by the keyword "Output Intervals = .." in the Simulation section?

Thanks/Regards
Kumar
raback
Site Admin

Re: Restart file (i.e. Output File) pruning?

Post by raback »

...and "output intervals = 0" makes the result to be saved only at the very end.

Sometimes I've thought about having 2 (or a few) files that would overwrite so that there would always be a fresh restart file without excess disk space requirements. However, the current (both ascii and binary) implementation are such that the new steps are appended while the mesh is only saved once. It would take some time to change the logic.

-Peter