Difference between poisson ratio and mesh poisson ratio

Numerical methods and mathematical models of Elmer
biocca
Antispam: Yes

Difference between poisson ratio and mesh poisson ratio

Post by biocca »

hi, i'm running a termomechanical model and i have a question about the difference between Poisson ratio and mesh Poisson ratio. I known the Poisson ratio (denoted v or nu) but i'm not sure if it has any relationship with mesh Poisson ratio.

Thanks in advance.

Regards. Nicolás.
raback
Site Admin

Re: Difference between poisson ratio and mesh poisson ratio

Post by raback »

Hi

"Mesh Poisson Ratio" is not a physical property. It is used by "MeshSolver" that adapts the geometry of the surrounding mesh in cases of structural deformation. E.g. in fluid-structure-interaction. The MeshSolver is basically a linear elasticity solver and this keyword is provided so that it can be chosen differently from the physical poisson ratio when both exists.

-Peter
skoushik

Post by skoushik »

I am using Elmer for Elasticity (linear and nonlinear) problems. I'm unaware of the "Mesh solver" and don't understand why the mesh should be given a different poisson ration than material...
Any explanations or references would be of great help. Thanks in advance.
raback
Site Admin

Post by raback »

Hi

MeshSolver is not a physical solver. It is a solver that is used to deform the mesh when the geometry changes. In FSI the structure is solved with some elasticity equation and the fluid is deformed using MeshSolver. Navier-Stokes equation then uses an ALE formulation where the mesh velocity computed by the MeshSolver is given.

If you have just structural problem there is no need for MeshSolver.

-Peter