WriteToPost taking too long

Numerical methods and mathematical models of Elmer
pmanandhar

WriteToPost taking too long

Post by pmanandhar »

Hi,

I am working with models with about 100k to 200k elements with linearstress solver in Eigen analysis mode with only displacement output. The solver takes about a minute, but then the writetopost takes 10 to 20 minutes. Is this normal? The output files .dat and .ep are in the order of 100MB each. During writing processor usage is miniscule.

As I am planning to do optimization with Elmer in the loop, I was wondering whether it might be possible to speed up this process, for example by using a RAM-drive or a faster hard drive, or trying to modify the WriteToPost code to write in larger chunks?

Thanks, Prakash.
Prakash Manandhar
http://p-manandhar.info
raback
Site Admin
Antispam: Yes

Re: WriteToPost taking too long

Post by raback »

Hi

I guess you're using the Windows version? Recently a user in the forum reported that writing VTU files on Windows consumes 100-fold time compared to Linux version. So it seems there is some problem in the gfortran-mingw-windows chain. Maybe somebody with more experience comment the problem. For the VTU file I wrote a buffer for the binary output and hope it would help in the speed. The ElmerPost format is ascii and I don't see that we would invest too much on that in near future.

-Peter
mzenker

Post by mzenker »

Hi,

I have observed that writing vtu binary AND ElmerPost is muuuuch slower than writing vtu alone (Rev. 5270, Windoze XP).
Haven't made systematic tests, though.

Matthias
pmanandhar

Post by pmanandhar »

Thanks, I will try the linux version or just writing to VTK format. Regs, Prakash.
Prakash Manandhar
http://p-manandhar.info