Problem with Savedata

Numerical methods and mathematical models of Elmer
lastart

Problem with Savedata

Post by lastart »

Hello, everybody,
I am new for this software.
I want to use this software to do some deformation simulation.
I found one problem when I try to save data using the Saveline model or SaveScalars.
The problem is as follows:
I work following the GUITutorial, I want to monitor the deformation of the points on the surface (Tutorial 2).
However because of deformation, many coordinates are not longer in the object, and the program can not obtain the data of all the points.

Can anybody help me?

I use debian the software version is 5.5.0.svn.4262.
lastart

Re: Problem with Savedata

Post by lastart »

I try to save the data on the boundary using Saveline, and find that the coordinates saved are after simulation.
However I am interested in the initial coordinates and the displacement, like the data in case.ep.

Is there any possibility to save the initial coordinates with all the other data after simulation?
raback
Site Admin
Antispam: Yes

Post by raback »

Are you using existing boundaries or synthetic lines created by the 'Polyline Coordinates'?

If you are using existing lines then you could always substract the displacement from the coordinates to get the original coordinates. If you're using the synthetic lines then unfortunately they are created on-the-fly at the displaced location and hence it is difficult to get the results at the original location.

If you save the results after the 1st timestep (or steady-state iteration) then you should as well have the original nodes (you will need same kind of sorting capabilities to locate them by the index). Or in the .ep file, if you set "Output Intervals" to zero, you will also just save the final configuration.

-Peter
Juha
Site Admin

Post by Juha »

Hi,

the linear elasticity solver has the keyword "Displace Mesh = Logical False", that will switch
off the mesh displacement due to solution displacement, if this is not needed (as is often
the case). Unfortunately, this might not be available from ElmerGUI (?).

Of course, you could also scale the case such that the displacement amplitudes are small
enough for the mesh displacement to be irrelevant (if the case is linear of course)...

Regards, Juha
Juha
Site Admin

Post by Juha »

Hi,

i added the "Displace mesh" option to ElmerGUI. Uncheck the
"Model -> Equation -> Linear elasticity -> Edit Solver Settings ->
Solver specific options -> Displace mesh" check box, if need
might be.

Quick path to update is to download the file
http://elmerfem.svn.sourceforge.net/vie ... threv=4268
and replace the "$ELMER_HOME/bin/edf/linearelasticity.xml" with the downloaded file.

Regards,Juha
lastart

Post by lastart »

Thank you everybody so much.
The Displace Mesh = Logical False is exactly what I need.
I edit the case.sif. Because the Polyline Coordinates (2,3) is also need to be change.