Stress solver advice

Numerical methods and mathematical models of Elmer
mark smith

Stress solver advice

Post by mark smith »

Hi All
I have recently been doing some analysis of some photo etched small flat spring designs made of 301 stainless steel see attached images. The material thickness is ~0.5mm to give an idea of scale.
My analysis was to find the deflection verses force for the centre section so I could produce a design with the required force at the required deflection. In the actual application the part is permanently deformed i.e. certain areas are permanently stretched, so for large deformations I didn't expect my analysis to be accurate even though I used a strain dependant young's modulus? On having some parts made, I measured the spring rate at small deflection and was surprised to find that the spring rate was only about 1/3 that Elmer reported ;-(
Q: is this problem a geometric non-linear one which Elmer's StressSolver is unsuitable for?

Are problems of this type, preferably with large deformation and a non-linear material model, beyond the scope of Elmer & if so can anyone recommend any other open source or low cost commercial software that might be suited?

Thanks in advance and best regards
mark
Attachments
mesh detail : hexahedral solid elements
mesh detail : hexahedral solid elements
mesh detail.gif (15.53 KiB) Viewed 1943 times
2D view
2D view
plan view.gif (4.09 KiB) Viewed 1943 times
boundary conditions
boundary conditions
boundary conditions.gif (7.86 KiB) Viewed 1943 times