Result Output error

Numerical methods and mathematical models of Elmer
mark smith

Result Output error

Post by mark smith »

Hi Elmer team,
Elmer Version: 8.3 (Rev: cd07b731, Compiled: 2018-10-10)

I'm doing fluid flow+thermal simulation and have noticed a problem with the vtu output with certain boundary conditions e.g. see below

Boundary Condition 6
Target Boundaries(1) = 5
Name = "heat exchanger top surface outer"
!! Heat Flux BC = Logical True ! if this & next line enabled output doesn't show up as geometry ID 106 in paraview
!! Heat Flux = Real 0.0
End

if i UN-comment the 2 lines above(which is the natural BC if undefined) then as stated these surfaces don't appear in the vtu file of Results Output with the line "Save Geometry Ids = Logical True"

BR Mark
raback
Site Admin
Antispam: Yes

Re: Result Output error

Post by raback »

Hi Mark

Ok, have to look into this someday. Seems strange. If the Name keyword is there then the ValueList_t associated with the boundary is not even empty.

Btw, there is no need to define natural BC (heat flux = 0) since it happens when you do nothing. It may of course be helpful for people reading the command file.

-Peter
mark smith

Re: Result Output error

Post by mark smith »

Hi Peter,
I have parametric geometry from gmsh and have the option of putting a heat load on the surface or not so rather than having to edit the geometry and sif file bc's it was easier to put a zero heat flux on the boundary so I could still see the temperature distribution on the surface in paraview by thresholding on geometric id's.
It's no real inconvenience but I think it should still appear in the vtu file?
Best regards
Mark